Another Windows 7 vs 10 thread, should I stay on Win10?

mariosx

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Greetings

I've been using Windows 10 and I'm seriously thinking going back to Windows 7 which are simpler, don't have extra garbage such as: Groove Music, Movies & TV, Metro Apps, Settings Panel configuration etc.

My desktop setup is:
Intel Core i7 (Quad Core with HT)
12GB RAM
GTX 1060 6GB
Samsung SSD 850 Evo
Some HDDS
UEFI BIOS (with Fastboot, CSM Disabled)

The serious reasons I am thinking reverting back to Windows 7 are the following:
1) I do not want extra garbage/apps/settings/utilities/services/etc running and eating my resources
2) I prefer using Windows 7 where settings we simpler, had less things to configure, for example in Windows 10 to configure Homegroup & Network settings, you had to configure it in Control Panel and Settings Panel (more configuration, more complex and some settings were both in those two)
3) I dislike all that extra stuff about Cortana, Search, Start Menu, I still prefer Windows 7 Start Menu
4) There are still some bugs in Windows 10, for example I cannot Turn Streaming on in Windows Control Panel/Network settings, no error pop ups, no nothing

What holds me back:
1) Dual Monitor support (they got better)
2) Old apps compatibility support (workaround is a Virtual Machine, I know)
3) Hardware, SSD, DirectX support and compatibility and speeds

I'm going crazy and I cannot decide what to do.

Lutfij

Titan
I've already stated this my colleagues and my friends, that the day that Microsoft decide to not give you an auto update feature(and a stop feature that actually works) is the day i migrate to Windows 10 for good. Too many things are bound to go wrong and Microsoft is yet in the learning phase since there are yet a lot among us who are adopting the new OS.

How do you mean better? I've seen dual monitor setups on Windows 10 and they seem the same as what I'm working with on Windows 7.
What sort of apps are we talking about?
We don't know the make and model of your motherboard and the SKU for your Core i7 processor nor the specs of the rams you're using but I'm sure that they will all be capable of working on Windows 7.

In retrospect, it seems like you want someone to tell you what you want to hear, i.e you're already leaning towards reverting to Windows 7...

SVstorm

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
I really like windows 10. Built my pc about two years ago and having a lot of stuff running in the background has little affect when I'm gaming that's partly why I went with an i7 in the first place. I have tried disabling services and not running things in the background and at most it was a couple to a few fps difference certainly nothing that made me think about going back to older software.

mariosx

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010

Nope.
It's not what I want to hear, it is more about why should I stay in Windows 10.

Dual Monitor:
Yes, dual monitor setup is much better in Windows 10, it lets you have a taskbar on all monitors with Start Menu as well, have a choice whether you want to see what apps you have opened in each screen or see all apps in each taskbar
and also Task View is great (a feature which has been used since many years in Linux distributions, called Multiple Desktops)

What sort of apps are we talking about?
In Windows 7, the OS comes with only with the essential apps installed (you also have an option of Windows 7 N (with Not Windows Media Player).
In Windows 10, the first time you log in into the system it has: Groove Music, Movies & TV, Windows Store, Windows Weather, Windows People, Windows Mail, Windows Calendar, Xbox, Marketplace, Windows Feedback, Windows Hub, Windows MSN News etc, it also has Candy Crush game preinstalled! and also I don't like Windows Online account use.
Which most of the stuff I and most users do not use in a personal computer.
Surely they can be disabled/uninstalled and most of them run in background eating system resources, getting bothered with more notifications you don't care about and also sometimes (very rarely) because these apps are open, some options changes you do in Windows 10, do not take effect.

And also if I want to fully customize my system, for example fully customize Network settings I have to customize them in Network & Sharing Center (Control Panel) and in Settings App

System Specs
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz @3.9 Ghz (Standard Clocked with Turbo on and XMP 1: Enabled)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H (UEFI BIOS)
RAM: 3x4GB Corsair 2133 Mhz (XMP 1) Dual Channel, don't remember timings or models
SSD: Samsung 850 240GB
HDD: 3x1TB SATA 3 Western Digital Caviar Black (Not Raid, simple ACHI Mode)
VGA: ASUS GTX 1060 6GB
SPU: Sound Blaster Zx

The reasons I do not want to revert back to Windows 7:
  • There is no DirectX 12 support for video-games
  • They do not have the same performance on SSDs
  • Don't know if they have UEFI/EFI support which have shorter boot times than a CSM/BIOS mode
  • Some new APPS/Games support WIndows 10 only.

It's just that Windows 10 do not offer a minimalistic installation, installing just the core system and then customize and install everything you want.

For a beginner/newbie or for a user who just want to install and start his job, it's perfect.
    However, for an advanced/intermediate, who has been using Windows for years and went through more advanced, such registry editing, it is not.
    You have to go through the process of uninstalling apps/things you do not need it's like Android where each brand has pre-installed their own apps. You can also say that Windows XP/Vista/7 were the same thing, it's true but in a much more less level. There was not Cortana, Windows Store, Settings App, instead there were fewer things.

Guess in the end, I may end up, going through countless guides and configuring/customizing everything in Windows 10 from scratch.