Question Another WindowsImageBack question

Aug 10, 2022
Hello all, I have a questions regarding restoring WindowsImageBackup. I Created an image about a year ago and saved it on my NAS for later use, for some reason the directory containing the image was named something other then WindowsImageBackup. I've now done a clean istall of the same MSI laptop and gone back from Windows 11 to Windows 10 thinking it might make this process easier (image was created in windows 10) I've renamed the image to WindowsImageBackup and moved it to My C: drive and tried to restore it, But windows can't seem to find it, I've created a new partition and moved the image to that one, windows still can't find it. I’ve rebooted and used the "trouble shooter" method and then locate System Image, it still couldn't find it. As a last ditch effort I created a rescue disk and booted into it hoping a third party program would locate it, nope couldn't find it. Is it just me or this Windows backup/restore utility a real headf#$k

-In order for this to work does my computer name have to be the same as it was previously?
-Can the image be stored in the same drive as Windows C:, or does it need to be a different partition to restore from?
-Or do I have to create an image with a 3rd party program for the image to be recognized as an image when booting using Rescue disk?

Thankyou

Been years since I played with it, but as I recall Windows backup procedure is not amused if you move the file around......so not surprised that Window can't now find it.

Not to mention the non-intuitive interface and overall inflexibility.

It's at the low end of tolerable......if you understand it's frailties and limitations.

But why bother? What's the motivation?

Windows backup with the built in tool is largely hopeless. Microsoft uses the term "deprecated", so you are best advised to find and use a third party tool instead.

Aug 10, 2022
Thankyou for your replies, I guess I was happy with how the computer was performing at that point in time along with programs I no longer have product keys for anymore. So the motivation was just to learn, to know what type of problems may occur and to be prepared (I don't think I knew what I was getting myself into, it's been 3 days now LOL). I also created iso backups earlier, I'll see if I can restore it that way. That way I'll have Dragon center to help with the correct drivers for the MSI laptop

Thankyou

USAFRet

Titan
Thankyou for your replies, I guess I was happy with how the computer was performing at that point in time along with programs I no longer have product keys for anymore. So the motivation was just to learn, to know what type of problems may occur and to be prepared (I don't think I knew what I was getting myself into, it's been 3 days now LOL). I also created iso backups earlier, I'll see if I can restore it that way. That way I'll have Dragon center to help with the correct drivers for the MSI laptop

Thankyou
"ISO backups"...of what, and how?

Aug 10, 2022
I used MSI software that came with Laptop to backup computer, it created 6 iso files. I just gotta work out how to use them to restore computer hopefully without having to put them on a dvd disc. Due to the fact the Laptop hasn't a cd rom

I used MSI software that came with Laptop to backup computer, it created 6 iso files. I just gotta work out how to use them to restore computer hopefully without having to put them on a dvd disc. Due to the fact the Laptop hasn't a cd rom

You might consider cutting your losses and making new backups using different software for which you can get considerable help here. Rather than climbing a learning curve ("I just gotta work out how to use them to restore computer") of something you don't yet fully understand.

Such as Macrium Reflect for Windows and applications.

And possibly something like Synchback Free or Free File Sync or Karen's Replicator or Second Copy for your personal data.

Using hard drives as a destination, rather than DVDs.

Your backups are totally useless if you cannot restore when a disaster strikes....which is as likely to be in the next week as any other random future week.

USAFRet

Titan
I hear ya, and I also reached the same conclusion......
Doing a regular backup is only 1/2 of the equation.
Knowing how to recover is the other part.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Aug 10, 2022
Recently I purchased a Qnap NAS so I backup everything that way. That's what lend me down this rabbit hole, the Windows image I created I thought was safe. The lessons leant, as you stated

"Doing a regular backup is only 1/2 of the equation.
Knowing how to recover is the other part."

And don't trust Windows. I'm lucky I do do regular backups and didn't wait till an emergency to restore, this was just a experiment

mat257

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
Hello everybody. I think to be fallen in same issue.
Recklessly, instead using third party app, i relied in win11 built in back up.
I have an image with clean and stable OS installation and i need to recover it.
After booting win 11 in recovery mode, restore from image utility is unable to find the files.
Mentioned files are saved into root directory of external USB drive.
Regardless the drive is fat32, exfat or ntfs formatted, risult is the same, none is found by restore wizard.
I also tried to open up the image from OS it self but when images list window pops out, no images are listed inside.
Even if i copy and paste images into Lan folder and browse toward them, nothing.
However, if i try to open the archive from old win 7 device, it works.
Archives are open and then i stop restore process, Obviously.
Please help... Thank you

Hello everybody. I think to be fallen in same issue.
Recklessly, instead using third party app, i relied in win11 built in back up.
I have an image with clean and stable OS installation and i need to recover it.
After booting win 11 in recovery mode, restore from image utility is unable to find the files.
Mentioned files are saved into root directory of external USB drive.
Regardless the drive is fat32, exfat or ntfs formatted, risult is the same, none is found by restore wizard.
I also tried to open up the image from OS it self but when images list window pops out, no images are listed inside.
Even if i copy and paste images into Lan folder and browse toward them, nothing.
However, if i try to open the archive from old win 7 device, it works.
Archives are open and then i stop restore process, Obviously.
Please help... Thank you

Is your PC currently in good working order and booting without any problems?

If yes, I'd use Macrium Reflect to make a new image and completely ignore Windows own built in backup capability...such as it is.

If no, I'd try to resolve whatever issues you are now having...rather than make an image of an installation that is now faulty in some way.

Are your personal files also somewhere on your C partition? Do you have an ordinary backup of those files? If not, I'd at least make an ordinary copy of them to some other drive right away, before worrying about "backing up" Windows.

mat257

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
Hello. Thanks for Reply. Actually OS properly woks but, on reliance i may sometime restore clean OS image, i installed plenty of applications as result registry size rose up to 500 mb and more.
Honestly i dont want to install OS from the scratch. It Is Not easy as it seems, mostly for drivers seek a installation

USAFRet

Titan
Hello. Thanks for Reply. Actually OS properly woks but, on reliance i may sometime restore clean OS image, i installed plenty of applications as result registry size rose up to 500 mb and more.
Honestly i dont want to install OS from the scratch. It Is Not easy as it seems, mostly for drivers seek a installation
Macrium Reflect is your friend.

MUCH better than the built in Windows thing.
The basis for my entire backup routine, across multiple systems.

Somewhat modified since i wrote this, but the basics:

I'd make a Macrium image. You can make one using default settings with maybe 8 mouse clicks.

All you'd need is sufficient space to store the image. Find out how much space is occupied on your C partition. An image of it will be about 60% of that size....if 500 gb occupied, image will be somewhere around 300 gb.

You can store it anywhere it will fit OTHER THAN on the same drive as the C partition. That would typically be an external drive, but could be another internal.

All an image does is save you time. You can restore in maybe 30 minutes.....rather than the 10, 20, or more hours it might take to reinstall Windows, all applications, and all configuration.