[SOLVED] Another X570 itx comparison question

Oct 28, 2019
Hey folks, have a couple of questions actually regarding the motherboard for my new (and first) mini-itx build. I am going to install either the Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro Wifi or the Asus X570 Rog Strix I-Gaming. I have both boards here new in box. I ordered them at different times and wasn't sure what would come in. Technically I have three MBs because I ordered the Asus from two different vendors because it was out of stock for so long. So which one do I go with. I have read multiple threads already but none really come to a conclusion.

Secondly, I was very surprised that the Asus did not come with a pre-installed I/O shield like the Gigabyte did. I thought they were supposed to be preinstalled - no? It's the same on both Asus boards, and both are brand new in box from different vendors so I am guessing not lol. Just wanted to be sure since the Asus site indicated the I/O shield was indeed preinstalled. Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
There aren't any 'pre-installed' i/o shields. The i/o shield as is, is supposed to be installed into the case slot before sticking in the mobo. Some new designs come with a built-in i/o shield, which is permanently attached to the motherboard. So it's not 'pre-installed' in any sense, as that would indicate its a floating object that someone has been kind enough to mount for you in advance. The built-in is designed to be permanent on the mobo, not something to install to the case.

It's really six of one, half a dozen of the other. Makes no difference to you, only to the person buying a board from eBay and the seller forgets to include the i/o shield. With a built-in, that can't happen.

Personally I'm in the same boat as you, almost...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There aren't any 'pre-installed' i/o shields. The i/o shield as is, is supposed to be installed into the case slot before sticking in the mobo. Some new designs come with a built-in i/o shield, which is permanently attached to the motherboard. So it's not 'pre-installed' in any sense, as that would indicate its a floating object that someone has been kind enough to mount for you in advance. The built-in is designed to be permanent on the mobo, not something to install to the case.

It's really six of one, half a dozen of the other. Makes no difference to you, only to the person buying a board from eBay and the seller forgets to include the i/o shield. With a built-in, that can't happen.

Personally I'm in the same boat as you, almost. I don't have the boards yet, but working on a mITX and those are my 2 choices, with a possibility of the Asus B450i. But. I'm not keen on the B450 sharing pcie m.2 with the gpu, the x570's have 16+16 pcie lanes and I'm looking at raid-0 NVMe. Nor the Gen 2 aspect, with the x570's in Gen 4.

So far what I've found around the net is that the Asus has slightly better VRM's and better cooling, and for a 3700x in a ncase m.1, that'll be a factor, but the Gigabyte price is slightly more attractive. Both are top ranked, but more of the SFF pro's definitely lean towards Asus, even when they aren't the major sponsors.

Solution
Oct 28, 2019
Thanks Karadjgne! I appreciate that. I am installing in an NZXT H1 case, so I am thinking of going with the Asus. The MB comes with two different size standoffs for the M2 drives. Not sure which one I should use for the top M2 and which for the bottom. There is only one of each.