Another XP-Pro-32bit question about 4GB of ram...

dtemp

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Ok, I know this topic has been gone over extensively.

I have 4GB of RAM, 4x 1GB Kingston HyperX 2-3-2-6 DDR-400. Asus AR832-MVP Deluxe mobo. Win XP Pro 32-bit SP2.

My boot.ini file has the /3GB switch. As far as I know, this allows programs to use more memory. "Software Memory Hole" is enabled in my bios settings. Windows still shows 3.00GB in system properties.

I do work with photoshop, photo mechanic, indesign, and other hungry apps open at once.

I've also heard of a /PAE switch for the boot.ini file, but try it yet.

So, if you had 4GB of ram on my OS and my situation, what combination of the /3GB and /PAE switch would you use to get my most memory working? Does it actually matter that windows only reports 3.00GB?

dtemp

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Also, the bios said "4GB installed, 3GB usable", but when I changed that software memory hole option, it now said "4GB installed, 4GB usable", so take that into consideration.

dtemp

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
I believe I read that it was available in XP Pro... now, another question, are there any drawbacks to using PAE? Will things run slower or something?

dtemp

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
So I tried just the /3GB switch, then just the /PAE switch, then both. All three times, system properties said 3.00GB. My bios still reports 4GB installed, 4GB usable with "software memory hole" enabled.

Any ideas?

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Ok, I know this topic has been gone over extensively.

I have 4GB of RAM, 4x 1GB Kingston HyperX 2-3-2-6 DDR-400. Asus AR832-MVP Deluxe mobo. Win XP Pro 32-bit SP2.

My boot.ini file has the /3GB switch. As far as I know, this allows programs to use more memory. "Software Memory Hole" is enabled in my bios settings. Windows still shows 3.00GB in system properties.

I do work with photoshop, photo mechanic, indesign, and other hungry apps open at once.

I've also heard of a /PAE switch for the boot.ini file, but try it yet.

So, if you had 4GB of ram on my OS and my situation, what combination of the /3GB and /PAE switch would you use to get my most memory working? Does it actually matter that windows only reports 3.00GB?

As far as I know, Win xp 32 bit will only show/recognize 3 gb of memory. Win XP 64 bit is needed to recognize your full 4 gb.

Mondoman

Splendid
DT, the /3GB switch just tells Win to allow programs pre-compiled for that option to access up to 3GB of address space instead of the usual 2GB.
From reading the MS site, the PAE switch doesn't increase the addressable space on Win XP, it just allows Win to use the XD (execute disable) feature. If total addressable space starts out as 4GB, various hardware mappings will still take a chunk out of that, leaving you with the roughly 3GB.