[SOLVED] (Answered)GPU Died?, Bought a new one and 2weeks later It also died?

Apr 17, 2020
Hello, I had an issue with my Asus RX580 4Gb dual fan gpu, where as soon as I would put some load on it, run a stress test or game it would go to a black screen and crash. I reinstalled all the drivers, installed a clean version of windows, basically did everything I can to rule out software issues. The issue remained. Then I bought a new MSI RX580 4GB, and now a few weeks later I'm getting the exact same thing.
I had no issues for the past 2 weeks since buying the gpu. Am I really that unlucky, or could it be my psu?
PC specs:
Ryzen 3 1200
RX580 4GB
16GB's ram
Xilence Redwing 500W PSU

Edit: Link to my original post when my 1st gpu died. : https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-my-rx580-fried.3594805/#post-21693507

Edit2: Tried the gpu's in a different pc and they worked fine, got a new coolermaster 550W psu and no issues so far, so I'd say the problem was the psu.

Last edited:
Solution
Accidentally submitted before finishing the post, It's some <Mod Edit> Xilence Redwing 500W psu. But if It were to be the PSU, why would it work fine for 2weeks and fail now... I'm really worried that It's the gpu.

A junk PSU can kill a GPU at any time.

That's fairly junky. It's an old group-regulated PSU and it's not even actually a 400W PSU in modern terms and it uses low-quality bottom-tier capacitors and insufficient diodes. And we're talking about a lousy PSU that is also very old; this hasn't been made in a long time.

Something else could be wrong, but it's hard to tell with a junk PSU in the mix. I would never have turned on this PC with this PSU with the first GPU and I can't imagine actually repeating...
Apr 17, 2020
It could be your PSU. You have not identified what the PSU actually is, however, so it would just be a guess.
Accidentally submitted before finishing the post, It's some <Mod Edit> Xilence Redwing 500W psu. But if It were to be the PSU, why would it work fine for 2weeks and fail now... I'm really worried that It's the gpu.

Last edited by a moderator:

DSzymborski

Titan

That's fairly junky. It's an old group-regulated PSU and it's not even actually a 400W PSU in modern terms and it uses low-quality bottom-tier capacitors and insufficient diodes. And we're talking about a lousy PSU that is also very old; this hasn't been made in a long time.

Something else could be wrong, but it's hard to tell with a junk PSU in the mix. I would never have turned on this PC with this PSU with the first GPU and I can't imagine actually repeating this experiment after having a GPU actually fail. A Corsair CX 550 is the minimum that should be powering this rig.

Solution
Apr 17, 2020

Something else could be wrong, but it's hard to tell with a junk PSU in the mix. I would never have turned on this PC with this PSU with the first GPU and I can't imagine actually repeating this experiment after having a GPU actually fail. A Corsair CX 550 is the minimum that should be powering this rig.
Got the best one I could afford.. Now I'm down 2GPU's and don't have a pc. Yikes.
Do you think the GPU's are actually fried or could I salvage the rig by getting a new PSU? Is there any way I can test that?

DSzymborski

Titan
Got the best one I could afford.. Now I'm down 2GPU's and don't have a pc. Yikes.
Do you think the GPU's are actually fried or could I salvage the rig by getting a new PSU? Is there any way I can test that?

They might be, they might not be. There's no way to test without a proper, safe PSU. It's why a competent PSU is the first thing purchased in any build, not an afterthought with whatever money's left over after the fun stuff.

Apr 17, 2020
Thanks.. I'm really shook. Spent everything i had so I can get the new GPU.
I Don't really have any friends with a pc close by that I can ask to try my GPU's in, not sure what to do.

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks.. I'm really shook. Spent everything i had so I can get the new GPU.
I Don't really have any friends with a pc close by that I can ask to try my GPU's in, not sure what to do.

If there's a local computer shop, they may test your GPUs for free.

I wish you had asked us for advice before doing all this! Hopefully, a local shop can verify the GPUs are still working and then you'll only be out the cost of a good PSU.

Apr 17, 2020
If there's a local computer shop, they may test your GPUs for free.

I wish you had asked us for advice before doing all this! Hopefully, a local shop can verify the GPUs are still working and then you'll only be out the cost of a good PSU.
I'm gonna try both of the GPU's in a different PC tomorrow, I have hope for one of them, but pretty sure the one that died first is done.
Edit: I underclocked, undervolted the GPU by 30% and I'm able to pass stress tests and play csgo at 200-300fps, which gives me hope that the GPU isn't fried. I wish I wouldn't have to keep using it on this <Mod Edit> PSU, but I've got to study and I'll get a new PSU as soon as I confirm that it's the problem.

TRENDING THREADS