Firelance

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hello all. I really wanted to upgrade all my case fans as I feel they are not doing as well as they did a couple of years ago. I am looking to replace all my fans.

I know there is a guide on how to install a new 200mm on the top, but would any 200mm work?

For the front, I haven't seen a guide or anything on how to remove them or if you even can.

And for my 120mm in the back, I am concerned with this the most.

For all the fans, I really want good RPM, but as long as they don't sound like a jet, anything with a higher RPM will work.

Thankss.

amrcnfirestorm

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Hey, I have an Antec 1200, and the front fans are definitely removable, just... a little tricky to do so. Though, if you're not afraid of a screwdriver and using your hands, you have nothing to worry about. While time consuming, the task doesn't require anything like wiring experience.

Rough step by step guide for front fans:
1. Take side panel off
2. Use screwdriver to unscrew drive cages
3. Disconnect fans from powersupply, fan controller, etc (don't worry about the speed knobs in the front just yet)
4. Pull the cages out
5. There are little tabs on the cages holding the wiring to the side of the cage, pull those tabs open so you can remove the wire.
6. There are screws on the cage holding the front metal grill on, remove these and then pull the grills off. (You will have to deal with your speed control knob at this point, don't worry too much about it, just push from the front and it'll pop right out...some force may be needed)

Remember, that's a rough guide. I may have forgotten some things, but if you built your own computer I'm sure you'll be able to figure out the gaps that I forgot. Just be patient, and know that there IS a way. :)
Post here again if you encounter any issues or have any other questions.

I would, for the front and rear, just buy another set of TriCool fans like Megaman said. Those won't have the plug-ins to the case mounts you've had before on the back and the little dials on the front, but they'll have a switch you can let dangle somewhere for adjustment just like before (just harder to reach).

Regarding the 200mm.. Do NOT buy a coolermaster 200mm, they DONT FIT!
Buy the replacment made by Antec, avoid any headaches about getting a fan that doesn't work.
Others on the forum may have replaced their 200mm with success in our cases, but I don't know of any and will just recommend the antec one.

Links for fans:
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Big-Boy-200-Computer/dp/B000V6FKGM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337187410&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-TriCool-120mm-Blue-LED/dp/B00066FHEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337187402&sr=8-1

douglasw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
If you havnt picked any fans yeat maybe check out the Antec True Quiet Pro 120mm ad on youtube..Like Antec is known for there high meduim low switch not like most fans Low at 800 RPM which is silent & high 1200 RPM. But these fans have way less friction so they do last longer...Check the video were they place the Antec fan out with 10 others, they start them all up & run them till they hit full Rpm then they cut the power off and then they seen how long the Antec rans after the last fan stopped..it was just over 20 seconds. So it proves Antec pro fan run with less friction means less noise and last longer..

i would suggest you replace your fans with liquid bearings/ also called fluid dynamic bearings... these fans are absolutely silent apart from the sound of air flowing over the blades. some are used for cpu's because thy offer high cfm and low noise. these i would recommend as replacements for your induction fans at the front and side of the case. 65-75 cfm fans will increase the efficiency of the cooling in the case and help balance out the negative atmosphere created bt the big boy fan.

douglasw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Tell me how can the big boy fan create negative Atmosphere. On my case the 200mm fan exits the air out of the case so its a one way stream ...Two fans bring air into the case from the front at 1200 rpm and a 120.. & the 200mm exiting so were do you find negative Atmosphere..In my case 900 antec case i have the Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard which has additional fans that circuates air under the armer so over all im able to choose the fans that are the quietest fans on the market which are the Antec pro series fan and dont have to worry about insfficient air flow

it creates a negative atmosphere in that inside the case it will pull air from any gaps not just through the fans.
its best to have a slightly positive pressure if you have filters as the air will be ejected from the case i know it sounds odd but it has been shown...
this is how it works.
the big boy can shift 200cfm your front fans do about 75cfm max each which leaves 50 cfm short fall this is your negative preasure value... this other 50 cfm will be pulled through the case via any gaps,vents and drivebays + the front fans. which in turn reduced the efficient of the blades on the fan to create pressure.
thus the term negative pressure...
the case pressure will balance out after all you cant push out more air than whats actually in the case but it does so at the cost of your filter efficenty.
because when it drags air in through the vents and bays that air isnt filtered like the air coming through the fans (if you have fan filters)...

what you really want is a positive pressure where your front and side fans can pull in more air than your ejectors can push out. this way any air the ejector fans cant expel will be pushed out the vents thus the term positive case pressure and this is best for a case that has filters...

i know thats a bit long winded but i hop it helps...

Glen Zabriskie

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016