Antec Builds P380 Case From Community Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get this craze of removing all external bays yet keeping the same external dimensions. I get that a few consumers don't use or want external bays. So if you're not going to use any external bays, why not trim down the size of the case? Hard drive cages don't need to be as big as 5.25" bays. Radiators aren't nearly as deep. So long as you have enough clearance for GPUs and radiators, why not make the things smaller, and hopefully, cheaper in the process?

ab-704

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
I still need six 5 1/2 bays - two for the cooling reservoir, one for the optical drive and three for the 4-into-3 hot-swap bay.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I don't really get the argument for removing the 5.25 bays. Having to use an external disc drive for a desktop just seems <removed>. My desk is already cluttered enough by peripherals, I don't need auxiliary elements of my PC adding to it. I use 4 of 4 of my bays. If you want thinner dimensions, there is also the all but extinct practice of vertical drive bays. I just bought a new disc drive and it still comes with the ridges for that orientation.

Watch the language. - G

boletus

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I'll be keeping my internal optical drive too. I don't know who all wants to lose the ability to house one, but for me optical storage is still the best option for backing up files, and I do still rip music disks, and I also play DVDs once in a while. I'll admit I use the optical drive much less than I used to, but it is still an essential piece of hardware for me. And with optical drives and disks as inexpensive as they are now, I will not see the lack of a bay for that as a plus.

boletus

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
And who really needs 8 3.5 inch drives, now that SSDa have taken over? You can stack 3 of them in a single 3.5 inch bay. I'd gladly trade a couple of 3.5 inch bays for one 5.25 inch optical bay.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
@boletus When I can get 8 4TB SSDs for the same price as 8 4TB HDDs I will be fine with getting rid of the 3.5" bays. Although I'd rather have more 5.25" bays so I can put in 3.5" HDD hotswap bays.

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
I own a P182. I own a P280. I won't be buying this case. I need something reasonably priced with at least 2 or 3 external drive bays. And a side window on a case that is supposed to be quiet? What ever happened the the 3 layer sides of the P180 series?

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I'm using all 4 5.25" bays available in my case, as well as all 6 3.5" and 2 2.5" bays. I have 4 more external drives (due to easier transport between cases and obvious lack of drive bays). DAS obviously isn't a requirement for ALL of these drives, but is very handy when I want to work with the data on each in turn. Once one gets to this point though, a 12+bay NAS box is in order I think, thus making even 8 bays moot in this case.

I'm not "hating on" this case simply because it lacks external bays ( and yes, I already knew they had a slim drive slot. ) My point is that if you're going to remove all external bays from a case, why not make it smaller in the process?

jhanschu

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
It may be that there are people who still want a ton of local storage (3.5 HDD) or have several radiators for cooling as it is in my situation. I think most people are being swayed away from ODD storage when HDD storage has become so large and accessible. Personally, I have a file server that is out of the way and does a better job of backup and having them accessible than DVD/Bluray ever could.

g-unit1111

Titan

Honestly I felt the same way until I got my H440, after a couple of months getting used to not having any optical drives, you'll forget you had one to begin with. And this is coming from someone who has a rather large media collection.

mxpie6

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
@Boletus
even if price wasn't an issue, there's no way I'd use SSDs over HDDs for archiving irreplaceble media and files.

that so many people are boggling over possible needs of others in these comments is amusing

Status
Not open for further replies.