Antec ea-380d rail 2 problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjenko

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
I’m trying to finish a new build. (ASRock Z77M, i3-3220 Ivy, 8GB RAM, WD Black 500GB HDD, Asus DVD, Empty Bus, Antec EA-380D PSU, Antec 300 case w/ 2 fans, CoolerMaster radiator w/1 fan). All parts are new from NewEgg.

All parts are installed. All connectors except the 12V CPU power connector are plugged in. In this state, when I turn on the PC, the power supply, case fans, the CPU fan and case power light turn on. The HDD spins up. I can also open/close the DVD tray, but the DVD does not spin.

The problem: When I restart the box, but this time with 12V from PSU rail 2 plugged in I get different results. Everything turns on for about a sec. and then shuts off, including the power light for about 3 sec., after which the process repeats over and over. The 12VDC plug is a split plug so I tried plugging in each half separately but got the same result.

My take: Plugging in the 12VDC causes a crowbar short somewhere that causes the thermal overload in the PSU to trip open. A short time later the overload cools and closes. This is what I think causes the power, fan and drive cycling. Does this make sense?

What is causing this? All I can think of is a flawed PSU, a damaged mobo, or perhaps a mis-installed CPU. Suggestions or insights anyone?

One last question. Can the mobo operate with just one half of the 12V split plug? I thought the reason for the ‘dual’ plugs might have to do with more power hungry CPUs like the i7.

[named removed]
[email removed]

Solution

Great to see it is solved. Yes correct with the switch if keeping contact it will recycle after a few seconds.

mjenko

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Problem Solved -
All the clues I mentioned were misleading. It turned out that the computer required a momentary closure of the power switch to start. Well, the power switch was sticking, maintaining the start signal. That is what was causing the cycling I described. The Antec case is overall nice for the price but the Power and Reset switches are cheap and flimsy. I'll add a touch of lubricant which should remedy the problem..

Great to see it is solved. Yes correct with the switch if keeping contact it will recycle after a few seconds.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS