Antec Fusion

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
Has anyone heard anything about the Antec Fusion HTPC case that's "supposed" to be coming out? Any articles I could find on it said mid Feb for release. Newegg used to have this case on their site with an option to be informed on when it was available, but now that's not even there.

Excerpt from this <A HREF="http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,108590,00.asp" target="_new">PCWorld Article</A> about them.

<i>Antec expects to ship the Sonata in January, priced at about $129. Fusion ships in February for the same price. The company hopes to ship the Minuet in March priced at about $99.</i>

I'm looking to get one of these puppies for my HTPC, but they seem to have dropped off the face of the earth. Has anyone seen or heard anything recently about them? Delays, cancellations, anything?

AntecRep

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
It's been delayed. I don't have a firm ETA, and until I hear they're on the water (at the very least) or the warehouse is unloading them now, I'm not giving any dates on them.

AntecRep

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
Thanks very much for your prompt response! Great to see a manufacturer that actually monitors the boards and replies with pertinant information!

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
Yes it definitely is, and will fit into my component rack perfectly. Props to Crashman for pointing it out to me!

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
You might also like to take a look at these... I've been eyballing the black one for my next computer...

<A HREF="http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/h340-series.htm" target="_new">http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/h340-series.htm</A>

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They are nice cases, but they only have half-height slots! Also, the Antec case is full ATX! How is this possible? Have you ever compared a short Midtower in height to a home stereo rack? Both 17"-18"!

The biggest problem with full ATX desktops so far is that they were too tall to look right in a stereo rack. And that full sized desktops are usually beige. Gateway actually had a convertable desktop/tower back around 1997 that was nearly perfect, it was even available in black, but it was still 1.5" taller than needed to clear cards. I had a grey one, painted black, in my home theater.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I don't care about the half height slots... There are kits for changing the back planes on most pci cards and I want something small so I can tuck it under the monitor.

AOpen's cases are very good, made by IN-Win for the most part.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, but I was just a little dissapointed, because an nForce 2 IGP/MCP-t chipset with onboard TV-Out would be nearly perfect in this type of case for an HTPC, except that half-height TV-Tuner cards are non-existant. If you look at the back, increasing height be only an inch would have allowed for full sized cards.

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
I've actually already looked at those, and my goal is to not have to build a completely new system for my HTPC, since it primarily will be just for playing MP3's through my HiFi, with being a vid recorder as a seldom 2nd, since I hardly ever watch TV as it is.

I already have a PIII 600MHz board, CPU and 512 800MHz RDRAM that will go into this thing, so the Full ATX case is a must. The problem is, my component rack currently is jam packed except for about 5 inches.

The Antec Fusion will suit me perfectly, as well as look slick. I don't want to put a foul looking case next to my 65" Widescreen HDTV and about $15,000 worth of HiFi equipment. :tongue:

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Yeah, I do like that case!

I was merely suggesting an alternative. Aopen also has a line of full ATX sized desktops you could use. Actually they have a very nice assortment of cases, just in case Antec changes it's plans.

Here's a link to their housing index:
<A HREF="http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/default.htm" target="_new">http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/default.htm</A>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Yep, I did see that on the diagrams... Haven't seen the actual case yet.

I agree though... the half heights do limit your options somewhat, but for my purposes --general office/writing stuff-- it's just fine.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Newegg has another case that lays one PCI card on it's side using a riser, so you get one full height and one half height slot from a short case. I consider this nearly ideal for HTPC, except that there aren't any nForce2 boards in mATX with onboard TV-Out, and other onboard graphics solutions are not adequate IMO.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
No, they don't... but they dress up real well if you are handy with a spray bomb. I've painted quite a few black in my time and lately I've even been asked for "decorator" colours like royal blue and wood-brown... go figger.

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
Which case is that? How tall is it? That's my biggest concern, but I'd also like to keep the 17" width footprint that is the standard for HiFi components so it will blend in nicely.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
it's nowhere near 17" wide, if you do a search for Micro ATX desktops you'll see it.

How much would you pay me to make you a custom case?

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
I'm actually looking for a full ATX case, so I can use an existing MB/CPU that I have.

haha... from an old VCR or DVD case? I've thought about doing that myself. Spend $50 or less on a cheap ass VCR and hack it up.

What do you have in mind?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I was thinking just take this old Gatway covertable case and chop it down to a slimmer profile, then bend a new aluminum cover and cut a new aluminum faceplate.