Question Antec Glacier 120mm RGB fans and Mystic lights

Dec 31, 2018
Make and model of your motherboard...? Better yet, list your specs like so:

How do you plan to connect the fans to the board?

CPU: Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard: MSI Gaming Plus X470
Ram: Corsair DDR4 3200 C14 (2x8gb)
SSD/HDD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus m.2; Crucial MX500 500gb SSD; Seagate Firecuda 2.5" 1TB SSHD
GPU: MSI Rx Vega 64 Airboost OC
PSU: EVGA 1000 G+
Chassis: NZXT H500i

Right now i have the fans connected to the smart controller, with the RGB connectors daisy chained and connected to an RGB header on the board.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, the Mystic Light tool can control the lighting effects in those fans from the mobo's plain RGB headers, and you have connected them for that.

You will have difficulty controlling the SPEED of those fans from the case's Smart Device because it is best used with 4-pin PWM type fans. Your fans' speeds can only be controlled by changing the VOLTAGE supplied to them. They come with a connector to get power from a PSU Molex, and with Low / High speed switches. It is not clear to me if they have common female 3-pin fan connectors on them, but I suspect they do since you somehow have them plugged into the Smart Device. You could try changing that. Connect the fan's motor leads (not the RGB cables) to your mobo's SYS_FAN headers. The mobo manual says these are configured by default to use the older Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode). Then set each fan's individual speed switch to High so it does NOT do anything, and let the mobo headers take control of the fan speeds according to a temperature sensor built into the mobio.

Reactions: magz916
Dec 31, 2018
Yes, the Mystic Light tool can control the lighting effects in those fans from the mobo's plain RGB headers, and you have connected them for that.

You will have difficulty controlling the SPEED of those fans from the case's Smart Device because it is best used with 4-pin PWM type fans. Your fans' speeds can only be controlled by changing the VOLTAGE supplied to them. They come with a connector to get power from a PSU Molex, and with Low / High speed switches. It is not clear to me if they have common female 3-pin fan connectors on them, but I suspect they do since you somehow have them plugged into the Smart Device. You could try changing that. Connect the fan's motor leads (not the RGB cables) to your mobo's SYS_FAN headers. The mobo manual says these are configured by default to use the older Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode). Then set each fan's individual speed switch to High so it does NOT do anything, and let the mobo headers take control of the fan speeds according to a temperature sensor built into the mobio.
I've recently switched to this case from an Apevia X-Infinity case where i had them connected directly to the motherboard, yet Mystic light didn't detect them then, they are 3-pin power and 4-pin RGB. Mystic light picks up only the MB and RAM modules. currently, i do have the RGB on them daisy chained together and going to JRGB1 on my board.