[SOLVED] Antec HCG 650W vs TT Toughpower Grand RGB 750W vs Corsair RM750x (Used) for PC?

Feb 15, 2019
Hello, Im building a productivity PC with some Gaming and looking for a PSU. My options are:

Antec HCG 650W Gold (New)
TT Toughpower Grand RGB 750W (New)
Corsair RM750x (Slightly Used)
I'm from Pakistan so my options are quite limited (No Seasonic PSUs). These are all fitting my budget nicely, around 85 USD. What would be your suggestion?

My Specs are:
Ryzen 2700x
Zotac Amp Rtx 2060
Asus Strix X470-F
Corsair Vengeance 16gb 3000mhz
NZXT H500 or TT Versa J24

Thanks in advance

Edit:

I might be able to squeeze in a couple of bucks more to get a new Corsair Rm750x instead of used if it's so much better than the other two.

Last edited:
Solution
As much as I'm leaning towards the Antec HCG after reading all of the suggestions above, I cant help but notice that PSU tier list puts HCG's in Tier 4. So I'm not sure how smart a choice it would be to get it, where as the Corsair RM750x is in Tier 1.

That's likely for the older HCG bronze series which is based on an older design. The Seasonic units that the new HCGs are based on are tier 2. Personally I have issues with that tier list, but I won't get into it as it would be long and not really on topic.
All are reasonable choices.
You actually need only 450-550w for your build.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

Why is the rm750x used?
Was it a return and being sold as used?
750w will power anything, it is unlikely the previous owner needed an upgrade in power.
A PSU is the one thing you want to be solid and reliable.

I think I would pick one of the new units.

Feb 15, 2019
All are reasonable choices.
You actually need only 450-550w for your build.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

Why is the rm750x used?
Was it a return and being sold as used?
750w will power anything, it is unlikely the previous owner needed an upgrade in power.
A PSU is the one thing you want to be solid and reliable.

I think I would pick one of the new units.
Yes, also the units in 450-550 range available here aren't quality ones and power here is a major issue (i'll also be putting an APC ups or something similar) therefore I want something reliable and strong.

I do believe the unit was a review unit and now the owner wants to sell it off. I'll make sure to know the exact reason. Thank you for this!

Feb 15, 2019
antec and thermaltake do not usually make great PSU, therfore I recommended the Corsair one. Just check the state of it and get a demo that it actually works before you buy it. Is it dusty? Get all the cables from the buyer.

It's not dusty and yes all the cables accounted for. I'll keep this in mind if I decide to go for the Corsair one.

A PSU will only consume the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
Here is one list of psu quality tiers:

Good point from Bringer of Tea ^ . A used modular psu should include ALL of the power leads.
Often a builder will lose the ones not used in a build.

Agree the Seasonic and Delta OEM models have always been good for me, have stuck with them throughout the years even on recent intel builds (just disable hibernate and sleep, problem solved lol).

No experience with the FSP or CWT models outside of seeing quite a few dead CWT Basiqs (so would stay away from those for sure)

DSzymborski

Titan
I did not know that, usually they and thermal take are usually rubbish... but thanks for pointing that out..

Build with a new Antec HCG then.

This isn't true on the Antecs - only some of the entry-level ones are mediocre. Once you get past the stuff like VPs and Basiqs (it's literally called Basic!) that are intended to compete in the very entry-level space against Corsair Vs and the like and get to their performance PSUs, such as the HCG/True Power/Edge series, you have higher-end Deltas and SeaSonics.

By my count, over on JonnyGuru, they've reviewed 21 Antec PSUs over the years. 15 of them have scored at least a 9.0. And OklahomaWolf ain't giving a nine to rubbish.

Feb 15, 2019
As much as I'm leaning towards the Antec HCG after reading all of the suggestions above, I cant help but notice that PSU tier list puts HCG's in Tier 4. So I'm not sure how smart a choice it would be to get it, where as the Corsair RM750x is in Tier 1.

bignastyid

Titan

That's likely for the older HCG bronze series which is based on an older design. The Seasonic units that the new HCGs are based on are tier 2. Personally I have issues with that tier list, but I won't get into it as it would be long and not really on topic.

Solution
Feb 15, 2019

Alright thank you, though if you have the time I'd love to hear what you have to say about the tier list. It would only serve to increase my knowledge and tbh the tier list seems to be the set standard for choosing the PSU in a lotttt of forums. Cheers!

DSzymborski

Titan
The list isn't updated quite as much as it ought to be. The old HCG series is that low because it was on the same older, group-regulated platform as the S12/M12 PSUs and while those were high-quality implementations of this older design, you're just not going to get the same voltage regulation on these older PSUs, especially when the loads on +12V/+5V/+3.3V are unbalanced.

The updated version of this series is still fairly new and based off of modern SeaSonic platforms and is independently regulated and generates everything off the +12V with a buck converter.

The older HCG's are "tier 4" because the are the older design, group regulated and have problems with crossloading when they try to handle the low power hibernate and sleep modes of the newer intel systems.

I still use them as well as the NEO and Earthwatt models you just have to disable sleep and hibernate, all is well they are still very good units.

bignastyid

Titan
tbh the tier list seems to be the set standard for choosing the PSU in a lotttt of forums. Cheers!

Likely because many are just lazy or not knowledgeable enough to know better so they just post it. There have been other tier lists but they get abandoned or just taken down as they are a giant pain to keep updated. Couple of my biggest gripes on the linus list is the aerocool unit in first tier, and the older green CX units in the same tier as the Antec HCGs and Seasonic M12 and S12 units as those Antecs and Seasonic units are easily better than those CXs. 3 tiers imho would be better. Tier 1 good, tier 2 exceptable budget units, tier 3 hot garbage.

Reactions: BringerOfTea