Antec High Current Gamer HCG-520M 520w PSU still good in 2018?

Oct 1, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am new to PC building and I am currently upgrading a few parts in my build. I recently found a 2 year old (minimally used) Antec High Current Gamer HCG-520M 520w PSU for $50 (about $37USD) and would like to get some advice on whether I should pull the trigger on it. I currently have a Thermaltake Litepower Gen2 650w PSU in my rig and have read that this is not reliable and does not have good build quality. Consequently, I am looking to upgrade to something more reliable. My specs are as follows:

CPU: i5-6500 (at 3.2GHZ)
RAM: 16gb (4x4) G.skill DDR4 2133mhz
Mobo: MSI B150 Gaming M3
GPU: Asus GTX 1060 6gb Turbo
PSU: Thermaltake Litepower Gen2 650w PSU

The three questions I have today is:

1) Whether the wattage provided by this PSU would be good enough for my build and whether or not this PSU is still good in 2018.

2) If it is worthwhile for me to upgrade from the Thermaltake Litepower Gen2 650w PSU to the Antec High Current Gamer HCG-520M 520w PSU

3) If buying a used PSU is a bad idea. Even when the seller has told me that it is in perfect working condition.

I should also add that the Thermaltake Litepower Gen2 650w PSU is about 1 year old and has not caused any problems for me yet. I do not play many demanding games.

Thanks!
Brendan

Getting a used psu is always a no go. Just keep using your thermaltake and if you do want to upgrade to a better psu get something that is actually better.