Antec Intros Sleek ISK600 Mini-ITX Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sleek? Hardly.

Even more, why such a low amount of front USB connectivity? It has a big face, why skimp on USB ports, Antec?

I wouldn't use it myself, since I don't have the vertical room for it and it looks... Blocky.

Cheers!

Certainly far from what I would call ugly(sleek is a look more than a size in this case).

Kind of similar to the SG05 on the outside, but the inside is another story for sure.

I think depth is one of the things overlooked in smaller cases. my SG05 is was a perfect fit for the limited space I had(anything deeper would not fit.).

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
CM Elite 120 is better than this. Costs less, looks nicer, has one more USB 2.0 port. CM Elite 130, same thing but that extra USB port is a 3.0, plus the front is mesh. Antec fails. (I really want to add "yet again" because every case of theirs plain sucks compared to similarly priced Corsair and NZXT ones, and in low-end segment, Cooler Master)

Norrec69

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Alienware raised the bar when it comes to console sized gaming pc's. Its a good thing they havent came out with cases as small that you could build yourself. It makes it a easy decision to buy a pre-built over building yourself if you want something small that can game. Its like they keep coming out with the same box shaped pc case.

G

Sleek or boxy, who cares? I think it looks pretty good. Design-wise, I think it beats everything in mini-ITX market but Lian Li Q08/Q18 and Fractal Design Node 304.

edmoncu

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

I do! Because the subject is misleading!

Is it any more misleading than a Sleek LaCie hard drive that is sleek because it is a shiny square brick.

Sleek does not mean size.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
This is a box and it only comes with 1 USB3 3.0 front connection. How have is it to make both front ports 3.0 and just include an adapter to convert them to 2.0 if the user wants to? Other case manufactures do it.

To be honest their ISK110, ISK 300 and ISK 310 was much sleeker!

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Sleek is a derivative of Slick. Sleek is meant to be used more often about the smoothness of an object or shiny/gloss of an object. It's not meant to mean slim. For all of you people who were expecting a slim case you were expecting wrong, and misleading your own self due to your lack of word definition.

The case indeed does look sleek/smooth even with a non glossy finish. For the select few you saw "mini itx" and "sleek" and automatically thought slim and compact.

Computered

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I think people are overreacting to the USB ports on the case. Most people only use one front port at a time anyway. Long term devices get hooked in the back, the front is for a quick flash drive or external HD use, use it and remove it.

As for a USB 2 port, I am glad they did this. Some USB 2 devices do NOT like USB 3 ports and have issues. By giving one of each you have a front port that will work with ANY device.

Cut reaction when I saw this case is that is it based on the Node 304 case. The small GPU space however makes it an option for smaller builds but the Node still wins with a bigger gamer rig being capable.

G

Thank you for talking sense.

grokem

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
I comment negatively on almost every new case released based on the number of external bays. This case is no exception as slim line optical drives are a complete pain to install. Why not just do away with optical support entirely and gain a lot of internal space? There are only two cases on the market that do this would really set the case apart. To niche? Ask Apple which only sells one computer that has the ability to have an optical drive. This isn't a niche idea unless you're building a PC which has tended to hold only obsolete media for far too long. Floppy drive anyone?

That said, I feel like I'm joining those above that complain about USB. However, I'd like to think I've at least explained my position where they haven't. All they say is (1,2,3,4,5) USB ports only??!! Really??!!, this is 2013!!!. I have 6 computers in my office currently and I'm using a grad total of 5 USB ports. I can't think of another use for a USB port other than a mouse. USB doesn't work well for keyboards because of the limited number of channels on the USB bus meaning you can only press 4 keys at once. This is why PS2 is still an option on all motherboards so gamers can use PS2 for Keyboard. So 5 mice (one of the 6 boxes is headless). I guess I've put a USB drive in a port a couple of times to install the OS on a computer but that is it.

edmoncu

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
Sleek indeed does not translate to slim. Sleek usually refers to elegance in design. From what I see here, it is just a typical boxy case with grooves on the side. These are common design styles in this form factor, which is unfortunate, because there's no creativity anymore. Do not be mislead just because there's an 'antec' branding on this.

I'd rather call these cases 'sleek' than this one instead.
http://sohoo2008.en.made-in-china.com/product-group/FMxEzymAufkJ/Slim-Micro-Mini-ITX-catalog-1.html
http://www.nesteq.de/gb/products/cases/ms550/

And i suppose, if you slap an 'antec' or 'lian-li' or any known brand onto any of these cases, you people will drool over this and call it the best thing since. Come on people, you know better than just being biased!

I know, these are the same people that drools over a Lian Li PC-Q30 case for some 'odd' reasoning. In the case of PC-Q30: ODD yes, cool no!

Each user has a different requirement.

I honestly think the SG05 from SilverStone is just great.

The price is right it can hold at least a few drives with some mods(I can get 2 x 3.5s[2 under the optical drive bay] and 3 x 2.5's[1 on the floor[sure 2 would fit] and 2 on the right side with a simple metal bracket] into the case, but my board will not take all those.

This is without loosing the optical drive bay or dual slot video card space), runs very quiet with the fans turned down a bit. and most of all. has an optical drive slot. I still use DVD/Bluray media.

Now with a good NAS setup and streaming video, you are 100% right that one can get by with some of those even smaller cases. It just depends on your system use.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Well they front mounted the power supply. Then they have a tray for the slim dvd that will also hold two 2.5 inch drives. Then in back you can put a 12 cm exhaust fan. This might actually be a better case design. At least they give you the option for an optical drive.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
You wonder about whether the air flow will flow in from the front and pull the hot air from around the power supply. Is there really enough air flow to take out the power supply exhaust? That is where the power supply plug extension is plugged in, so thee has to be a gap between the power supply and the side of the case. Where does the exhaust go?

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
If they want to place the power supply Sideways, they need to make a sideways power supply design. The chord and the plug and the fans need to be configured differently. If even the plug was on the side instead of in the end that might help. Need a reference design for a sideways power supply.

Apr 11, 2013
Quote: CM Elite 120 is better than this. Costs less, looks nicer, has one more USB 2.0 port. CM Elite 130, same thing but that extra USB port is a 3.0, plus the front is mesh. Antec fails. (I really want to add "yet again" because every case of theirs plain sucks compared to similarly priced Corsair and NZXT ones, and in low-end segment, Cooler Master)
Kind of agree with the front panel, should have been two USB ports. Other than that, this is pretty much another Node 304 remake. Compared to CM130, this thing can house much taller coolers dough, so won't really call it a fail. Antec as a whole make some great cases. LanBoy Air is one of my favorites and they also have really cheap options too!

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I think perhaps that all cases should offer at least 4 front case USB. The more the better. I could see some kind of aftermarket product with a drive and USB slots in the 5.5 drive. It is kind of wasted on a giant DVD Drive. I keep thinking the industry should get rid of all drives that size. Maybe all software should come on USB drives or be downloaded. It is the stupid games and software companies that always want a DVD in a drive to play a game or operate some softward. Honest people are constantly treated like criminals.

It takes a slim dvd drive(like what a laptop has) it is certainly not a giant dvd drive..

Status
Not open for further replies.