Antec Kuhler 620 compatible with this build?

socialfox

Distinguished
Hi there I have been trying to find a decent cooler for my cpu (Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition) but currently they all cost over 50+ and the hyper 212 plus is a bit too tall. I was wondering if the Antec Kuhler 620 would work on my case which is a cooler master elite 350.

This here is my case : http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2987

In addition how does watercooling work and will I have to maintain it or change anything every once in a while?
My motherboard is an ASUS M5a78l-m LX Plus

Solution
no you are fine with the temps....as far as the hdd temp thing goes I have never heard that and it doesnt make much sense I can see if the hdd temps get below 0c and *** starts to freeze but other than that there shouldnt be an issue with your hdd temp

drums101

Distinguished
yes the antec kuhler would work fine in that case...you would just hook it up to the fan port in the rear of the case....this type of all in one solutions for watercooling requires no maintenance what so ever so once its in you have no worries

mukitbinazad

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

yes it will fit and as drums101 has mentioned,you need to install it in the place of the rear fan....
many people take watercooling as a hobby..the main components of a watercooling loop are:
cpu waterblock
gpu waterblock
pump
reservoir
and radiator
you will need to maintain your loop by draining the coolant and refill it,flush your watercooling components and leak test..

socialfox

Distinguished

What will happen if I do not change the coolant? How often do I need to change the coolant? And lastly, will distilled water and biocide work rather than coolant?

socialfox

Distinguished

Hows the performance of closed loop coolers? I intend to run my Phenom II X4 955 on stock clocks. What should I expect for 100% load temps?

drums101

Distinguished
all in one units that are sealed like this one usually perform even or a little below high end aircoolers...the advantage of these is that they are usually quieter...and as I said earlier that you do not have to flush or change the coolant in these types of systems...its sealed there is no way to get in there to even do it

mukitbinazad

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
i thought you had asked about the antec kuhler alongside how real watercooling works....
as the antec kuhler is closed loop.it doesnt need any replacement of coolant...but when you install it,you must check for leakage///you do that by jump starting your power supply...

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

As mentioned, ambient temp / case temp will be a factor for actual core temps.

I currently have the same setup as you are proposing, but overclocked.

My CPU is the AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 1.4v. Cooled with the Antec Kuhler H20 620.
Idle temps = 39c
Load temps = 49c (I have seen this @ 50c, after hours of gaming on a hot day)

One thing you need to keep in mind is the voltage / clock speeds.
I'm running my CPU @ 4.0Ghz w/ 1.4v. This was manually adjusted in the BIOS.
If you choose to leave everything on AUTO, you will most likely be running the CPU @ 3.2Ghz w/ 1.45v or 1.475v. This will result in higher temperatures. The mobo will pump more voltage for extra stability purposes..

All in all, the auto setting works fine, so if you don't care, then don't worry about. If you want to lower temps and 'save power' then you should tweak the settings. I think 3.2Ghz can be run w/ 1.3v; this varies by CPU so ymmv.

EDIT: I decided to play around with my setup last night. I added a mesh foam fan filter and second fan *(Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000). Temps are even better now. 36-37c idle, load around 47c.

Antec CS155

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
The Kuhler will work on this case. As far as leakage, if you want to guarantee that its in working condition, just plug the unit without installing it on the system and do a 24 hour stress test and see it leaks, pump failure or check any defects. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me or e-mail me at vip@antec.com

Thanks

Borochadwicsays

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I say this because you have to be able to access the rear so that you can put a ring that mounts the cooler. You may have to remove your whole motherboard to reach the back, if you buy this cooler. I'm not saying not to do it, because I like it fairly well, I give it a 7/10. But make sure you have access to the rear or you're ready for an intense build!

socialfox

Distinguished

Do you happen to have the 95 watt version of the phenom or the 125 watt Black edition? My idle temps are 35 degrees and loads are at 49 degrees, its also very hot in my room, im guessing 25 degrees.

socialfox

Distinguished

Its on stock clocks, the cooler is installed as according to the manual and it has a firm connection to the cpu. I just placed a second fan and changed both fans into the intake direction.

socialfox

Distinguished
Currently it pulls air from the outside through the radiator and is expelled by the power supply exhaust fan which is right on top of the radiator and a 5.25 inch exhaust bay fan. The case also has another intake fan in the front of the hard drive. So basically ive got a 120mm power supply fan, and dual 40mm bay fans that exhaust air, and then I have dual 120mm radiator fans and another 120mm fan in the front of the computer.