Antec KUHLER H2O 620

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
hi all

i am planning on getting the Antec KUHLER H2O 620 to cool an i5 2500k which i hope to overclock heavily my question is can anyone tell me if the fan been used to cool can be used as the exhaust fan in the case or will i need additional case fans. thanks for any info

socialfox

Distinguished
Hi there, I've also got the same cooler on a phenom X4 955 Black edition (125 watts). From experience I can tell you that there are better solutions, the cooler master hyper 212 plus which is only a fraction of the price of the kuhler 620 performs within a 1-2 degree difference. Temperature wise on my phenom is 28-32 degrees idle (dependent on room temperature) and does not go over 48 on load withe prime 95. SO if your overclocking will increase the cpus wattage by around 30 watts then you should be fine, if you plan on ramping up the voltage higher then I urge you to get a better cooler, maybe the H100 or a high end air cooler.

Case fans are not typically suggested for radiators as most send air in a cone, you want fans with high static pressure so they send air in a more linear path and a bit stronger, but the kuhler 620 comes with one radiator fan. In addition, in my experieces with radiators I find much better cpu cooling with fans on the radiator used as intake as you use colder air to move through the fins rather than exhausting the already hot air from the computer case. Best if you use a push-pull config with the radiator.

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
thanks for your input i get what your saying about the cooler air from outside being better but won't that be dumping the hot air from the cpu into the case ? unfortunately the h100 is outside of my budget
the case im planning on may not be suitable its got just one 120mm fan space at back and one 120mm fan space at front im guessing i will need maybe a side fan space or roof space
im not in a huge rush for this system so i may try find a way to afford the h100 but it looks like i will need a better case with that too so the knock on effect is a much higher price

socialfox

Distinguished
I understand, the point I'm trying to make is that there are better air coolers you can buy at the same price of the Kuhler 620, I say get the Kuhler 620 only if your cause is limited in height as all the better air coolers are quite tall. If your case is 7.5 inches and above in width then go for a air cooler.

socialfox

Distinguished
+1 to the hyper 212 evo, its quite good and even better when in push pull configuration. If you want to buy an air cooler that's even better than the hyper 212 evo and the same price as the kuhler then go for the Spire Thermax Eclipse you will notice a quite a decent gap of temperatures from the other coolers with it.

socialfox

Distinguished
Well 1-3 degrees could be significant difference from reaching the max temperature on the CPU but if its way below the max temperature no it wont matter too much. Though if you have positive airflow in your case that heads right to the heatsink you may get a bit more of a change in degrees, maybe up to 5 degrees.

TRENDING THREADS