Antec Launches EarthWatts Platinum PSU Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I know when you consider the prices compared to less noteworthy rivals it seems expensive but I have had nothing but luck with ANTEC PSU. I would love to see a review of these.

[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Is it physically possible to 'eventually' get 100% efficiency??[/citation]
If you could, the power supply would make NO heat. Would be sweet, but not going to happen in my lifetime I would guess.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]If you could, the power supply would make NO heat. Would be sweet, but not going to happen in my lifetime I would guess.[/citation]

You can if you use cryo cooling system. Expensive idea but it could work.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Is it physically possible to 'eventually' get 100% efficiency??[/citation]
No, pretty much impossible to make anything 100% efficient. Theoretically it is possible, but physically, no. And as an electrical engineer that designs this stuff, losses are a pain, because it makes the math WAY more complicated.

At any rate, these have been out for awhile now, but glad they are starting to see some press. I personally prefer Seasonic PSUs, but Antec would be my second choice.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]No, pretty much impossible to make anything 100% efficient. Theoretically it is possible, but physically, no. And as an electrical engineer that designs this stuff, losses are a pain, because it makes the math WAY more complicated.At any rate, these have been out for awhile now, but glad they are starting to see some press. I personally prefer Seasonic PSUs, but Antec would be my second choice.[/citation]

You know that Seasonic is an ODM and builds PSU's for Antec, right?

4745454b

Titan
You'll never see 100% efficiency. To my knowledge we have never been able to 100% convert one form of energy to another. There is always loss. (easiest example would be resistance in the wires.) I'm not sure what the max possible would be.

Seasonic used to build Antec PSU, but I think they've started using Delta and CWT for most of them now. No word in this article as to who makes them.

As for these, meh. Way to much money for so little PSU. I know you save $$$ in the long run by using these, but I'm sure a bronze or gold unit would cost less, and not cost too much more to use.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
"You can if you use cryo cooling system. Expensive idea but it could work."

A more sophisticated cooling system would not prevent the power supply itself producing 'heat', the thermal energy just dissipates in a different way rather than causing an increase in ambient temperature. Just because the temperature doesn't rise due to cooling doesn't mean the PSU has hit 100% efficiency.

"You'll never see 100% efficiency. To my knowledge we have never been able to 100% convert one form of energy to another. There is always loss. (easiest example would be resistance in the wires.) "

Also wrong, no energy is lost at all - just present in different forms. For example resistance in wires produces thermal energy, the most extreme example being a heating element. You can't destroy or 'lose' energy, at least based within the physics understanding of our time.

Do they even teach physics any more?

chrispegg

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
"Is it physically possible to 'eventually' get 100% efficiency??"

As others have indicated, due to the laws of physics, it is only possible to have a 100% efficiency in theory, but it is physically impossible (Google "First law of thermodynamics"), so the answer to your question is "no, it isn't possible".

The "waste" is usually in the form of heat driven through the work done by the system. The only way it can be in a state of "not giving off heat" would be for it to be powered off completely.

The human body is a good example - when you exercise (work), you get hot, and your body will perspire (water cooling) to cool you down. The heat your body gives off is a different form of energy from the energy that builds your muscles and burns fat. You could also stand in front of a fan to cool down (much the same way as these PSU's have fans, to keep them cool when they're working).

If the human body were 100% energy efficient, you'd be able to exercise indefinitely without ever getting tired or breaking a sweat.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]DaveUK[/nom]Also wrong, no energy is lost at all - just present in different forms. For example resistance in wires produces thermal energy, the most extreme example being a heating element. You can't destroy or 'lose' energy, at least based within the physics understanding of our time.Do they even teach physics any more?[/citation]
When energy transfers to an unintended medium it counts as energy loss. And such loss is used in calculating efficiency.

If your quarter falls down a storm drain, it is a loss regardless of this fact that it still exists.
Perhaps you should retake physics and learn what the terminology means. Lost =/= Destroyed.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]it would break the first rule of thermal dynamics.[/citation]
wouldn't, actually.
first law only states that energy is converted from one form to another, nothing's said about losses or efficiency particularly.

iirc it's the second law.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
They could have easily made it modular, it isn't that hard, just slightly more expensive (probably by 4-5 cents per power supply (which may be recouped by the reduction in steel required for the power supply since more holes for the connectors = less steel required)

hotthree

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
[citation][nom]waethorn[/nom]You know that Seasonic is an ODM and builds PSU's for Antec, right?[/citation]

Except when seasonic builds for company's they do it under there specifications. Sometimes they will be cheaper built etc. However, that being said I'd much rather choose a Seasonic built psu over any day. Althought I would buy Seasonic brand because typically they are better quality then that of other companies who rebrand their psu's.

Status
Not open for further replies.