Antec TrueBlue 480 with low 12V

peterjedi

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
Hello,

I am seeing 11.720 and sometimes 11.62 (Using the giga-byte software) on my 12 rail. Should I be concern with the Antec TrueBlue power supply? My system keeps on crashing, but not sure if this is a motherboard issue. I get a blue screen IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL.

Is there a better utility to check my rail ratings, using hardware or software?

Best regards,

Peter

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peterjedi on 01/15/04 10:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Those are bad voltage levels, but still considered acceptable by the industry, leaving you no recourse. Chances are your error is caused by a memory issue, you can try raising vDIMM or increasing the latencies.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

peterjedi

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
I swapped memory and CPU from a working P4T533-C motherboard (2 years running without problems). The memory and CPU are fine. The Motherboard is GA-8IHXP 3.0 (Used and off Ebay). It reboots everytime I try to run Multimedia TV. It reboots sometimes when I install software. On occasion it reboots when I am surfing the web.

I had a defective sound chip on the motherboard. When I turn off the sound the crashes became rare. Anyhow I RMA'ed the board, the sound was fixed, but the crashes returned.

I was 80% sure its my motherboard and 20% power supply. I think I am 90% sure its the motherboard.

Thanks for everyone's help,

Peter

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peterjedi on 01/15/04 10:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I do not agree with you. Those are not bad volage at all. It is around 4% from 12 Volt. It is well within the tolerance. 5% tolerance is considered as high quality by the PSU industry. Anything within 10% is consider acceptable by the Industry.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I know, I know, I'm substituting what's "acceptable" with what's "ideal". Ideal is based on observation. My experience tell me anything from 11.9v to ~13.5v provides optimal stability. This is outside the industry standard of +-5%. I prefer mine to be between 12.1 and 12.8v.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

AntecRep

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
TruePower should be within 3%. However it's best to check with a voltmeter. That way at least you can determine what the PSU is really pumping out versus what the motherboard thinks it's getting.

AntecRep