Antec Truepower & Motherboard Fan Controller?

mrx9

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I am considering a Truepower 2.00 550 for my P180 case.

I am slightly confused about the fan Only power connectors on the PSU that allows the True Power to control case fan speeds.

My motherboard also has a connector for the chassis fan to control the chassis temporature.

If I go with this PSU, do I ignore the motherboard fan controller or attach one of the fans to this and the other fans to the PSU?

RocketRobin

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
The Fan Only connectors on the PSU are optional fan outputs, which are equipped with two pins in a four pin drive power connector and equipped with 24ga. leads. They are marked Fan Only, because they cannot power a drive.
You can use either the motherboard, or the PSU to power your fans.
If your chassis fan has a tachometer output (i.e. three wire) connector, then you should connect it to the motherboard output. This way the fan can be checked by the BIOS and you can set-up your BIOS to detect a failure during POST. If you're exceptionally anal, you can also use a real time fan software monitor with this arrangement.
If your chassis fan uses a two wire with four pin drive power connector, then it's simpler to connect it to the PSU fan output.
Note: you should never power a fan that draws more than 2A using a fan output. Common fans use less than 0.5A, but if you're building a combination vacuum cleaner/hovercraft/air cooled PC then you should connect those immense rotodyns to 18ga. wired drive power connectors.

TRENDING THREADS