Question !!!!!Worry Antec VP500pc 500W psu!!!!!

6-core

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Hi.
I recently bought an Antec VP500pc 500w psu. In all the reviews I checked out about this psu it states that it is a dual rail psu with a combined amperage of 45A (24+21). This was one of the reasons why I bought the psu. However, when the unit came it was a single rail of 38A! The 12V wattage also increased from 408W to now 456W. I searched the interwebs and nowhere did I find any other example of this being a single rail psu. No, it is not a V2 version. Does anybody that know about psu's know what is going on? Slightly worried. Am I being con'ed?

Hi.
I recently bought an Antec VP500pc 500w psu. In all the reviews I checked out about this psu it states that it is a dual rail psu with a combined amperage of 45A (24+21).

What reviews? And how old were these reviews?

This was one of the reasons why I bought the psu.

Why? Never mind it lacks in every department, the ONE REASON you wanted it was because it had two +12V rails? I mean, it's LITERALLY the cheapest, lowest end Antec PSU they make. "Hey! That's the one I want!"

However, when the unit came it was a single rail of 38A! The 12V wattage also increased from 408W to now 456W.

Like Cooler Master, Thermaltake, Corsair, etc., Antec reuses series names over and over across different generations in order to keep it in the same place in their line up. For example: VP is always better than the (now discontinued) Basiq. Neo is ALWAYS better than the VP. Also keep in mind there are many different VP's. VP Plus, VP-P Plus, VP Plus 230V, VP-PC. They also tend to hop from one OEM to another... especially on the cheaper stuff. VP has been made by Delta, FSP, CWT.. I think the newest one is made by Andyson.

The only way to know exactly which PSU you're getting is not use the "retail name", but to use the actual model number, which will look like "X3000A101-18", for example. It's on the spec label.

I searched the interwebs and nowhere did I find any other example of this being a single rail psu. No, it is not a V2 version. Does anybody that know about psu's know what is going on? Slightly worried. Am I being con'ed?

It sounds like you have the newest version which is made by Andyson, is single +12V rail (which isn't a bad thing at all on a 500W PSU) and has DC to DC (which is why the +12V rail is higher).

Last edited:

6-core

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Https://www.techlegends.in/antec-vp500pc-review-a-worthy-budget-gaming-psu/

https://techarx.com/antec-vp500-pc-power-supply/

There are other similar reviews. I know full well that this is a budget entry level unit but it is the best in its PRICE CLASS. Remember that we dont all have money for the best psu's. It is good enough for what I need for my very casual gaming and pc usage.

ONE OF the reasons I bought this psu was because the dual rails would offer me better protection (right?) in case of power surges, outages, overloading etc. which is not uncommon where I live.

But my worry now is that the amps are less, 38A vs 45A. How does this affect things. As well as the higher wattage..??

Am I better or worse off with this version?

Both of those reviews are FOUR YEARS OLD.

There are other similar reviews. I know full well that this is a budget entry level unit but it is the best in its PRICE CLASS.

I don't know if it's the "best in its class", but it's a lot better than a lot of the no-name garbage I see sold in India.

ONE OF the reasons I bought this psu was because the dual rails would offer me better protection (right?) in case of power surges, outages, overloading etc. which is not uncommon where I live.

Completely wrong. "Dual rails" is on the DC side. Poor power from power surges, outages, etc. are on the AC side. A PC power supply's job is to convert AC to DC. The number of DC outputs has nothing to do with "conditioning" the power coming into the PSU.

Here's a little primer on how/why there are "multiple +12V rails". Sounds like something you should read:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/sho...tiple-12V-rails-The-splitting-of-the-12V-rail

But my worry now is that the amps are less, 38A vs 45A. How does this affect things. As well as the higher wattage..??

The amps of the new one are MORE. Not LESS.

You don't ADD the two rails and ASSUME that's how much power there is.

Again, you misunderstand multiple +12V rails and how they work. Please read the sticky I linked above.

The older version had a +12V rail capable of 34A. NOT 45A!!!! That 34A circuit is split into two circuits. One with a 24A OCP limit on it and one with a 21A OCP limit on it. If you fully load the 24A circuit of the PSU, that doesn't mean you can still get 21A on the second. It means you can only get 10A off the second circuit!!!!!

The NEW version has 38A on a single +12V rail. That's actually 48W more than the old version.

For "light use" (read: non-gaming PC) this Antec is fine. And I'd say that the new version seems to be MUCH BETTER than the old one you THINK is better. And, like I said, it's FAR BETTER than 99% of the garbage they sell in India.