[SOLVED] Antech HCG 750M any good ?

lux1109

Reputable
BANNED
Apr 30, 2019
Hi, I just want to upgrade my GPU. currently using the GTX 970....Is my power supply good enough for future upgrades ? i heard it does not have enough amp, to power other cards. is that correct?

wrwbujZ.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, your power supply unit is okay, but NOT the very best, since it falls slightly under the lower TIER category on the PSU hierarchy list. It's an average quality unit by ANTEC, but it's not that bad either, IMO.

The actual AMP rating, depends on the exact Video Card model/brand, and manufacturer. Do the math. On your current PSU model, actually there are a pair of 12V rails.

Each are rated for 40A each, which gives a combined output of 62A or 744W. It's a multi-rail unit. So I think you should be fine, with your current power supply, if you are using the GTX 970 GPU, or some other GPU, unless you are facing some serious issues with your PSU under Heavy Gaming/load. In general, for most of the GTX...
Yes, your power supply unit is okay, but NOT the very best, since it falls slightly under the lower TIER category on the PSU hierarchy list. It's an average quality unit by ANTEC, but it's not that bad either, IMO.

The actual AMP rating, depends on the exact Video Card model/brand, and manufacturer. Do the math. On your current PSU model, actually there are a pair of 12V rails.

Each are rated for 40A each, which gives a combined output of 62A or 744W. It's a multi-rail unit. So I think you should be fine, with your current power supply, if you are using the GTX 970 GPU, or some other GPU, unless you are facing some serious issues with your PSU under Heavy Gaming/load. In general, for most of the GTX 970 cards, the requirement is a minimum +12V current rating of 42A, but this also depends on the custom model as well.

On your current PSU/HCG-750M, there are 2 +12V rails, and so the total combined output rating will be 62A, or a total of 744W, which is enough, at least in my opinion.

Make a note though: The total wattage number of any PSU is not always really the most important deciding factor, primary concern is the 'quality' of power it produces, and the total capacity of the 12V source etc. Though how the rails are laid out does not affect that much, i.e. single/multiple +12V rail PSUs.

Multi-rail PSU can be mildly better, especially with high wattage units, but it won't have any impact on your performance. However, it can provide an extra layer of safety in case you get a short circuit. A multi-rail power supply has OCP on all +12V rails, ensuring that your PC components stay alive, if a problem like a short circuit occurs.

Hope this helps ?Are you facing any issues with this PSU ??

Last edited:
Reactions: lux1109
Solution

lux1109

Reputable
BANNED
Apr 30, 2019
The Antec HCG 750M is a good PSU made by Seasonic. Older platform , but still a decent PSU. Yes it's fine for upgrades , has plenty of power.

Okay, thank you for replying back. :) Much appreciated.

Each are rated for 40A each, which gives a combined output of 62A or 744W. It's a multi-rail unit. So I think you should be fine, with your current power supply, if you are using the GTX 970 GPU, or some other GPU, unless you are facing some serious issues with your PSU under Heavy Gaming/load. In general, for most of the GTX 970 cards, the requirement is a minimum +12V current rating of 42A, but this also depends on the custom model as well.

On your current PSU/HCG-750M, there are 2 +12V rails, and so the total combined output rating will be 62A, or a total of 744W, which is enough, at least in my opinion.

Make a note though: The total wattage number of any PSU is not always really the most important deciding factor, primary concern is the 'quality' of power it produces, and the total capacity of the 12V source etc. Though how the rails are laid out does not affect that much, i.e. single/multiple +12V rail PSUs.

Multi-rail PSU can be mildly better, especially with high wattage units, but it won't have any impact on your performance. However, it can provide an extra layer of safety in case you get a short circuit. A multi-rail power supply has OCP on all +12V rails, ensuring that your PC components stay alive, if a problem like a short circuit occurs.

Hope this helps ?Are you facing any issues with this PSU ??

NO, I don't have issues whatsoever. I was just worried about my power unit. I thought, if I upgrade, then maybe my current power won't be enough. But, Thanks for your assurance. Much appreciated. I really don't have the cash to spend on a new mobo/PSU/CPU......I just want to upgrade my GPU.

Once again, thanks for your help metal messiah. You guys rock, LOL. :D

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

lux1109

Reputable
BANNED
Apr 30, 2019
Glad to hear that. Btw, which card would be a worthy upgrading to, GTX 1660ti, or the RTX 2060 ? I'm on 1080p/60hz, so I don't really want to spend more cash on some high end card.

I think the Ti would be a much better option, ?

Btw, which card would be a worthy upgrading to, GTX 1660ti, or the RTX 2060 ?

That RTX GPU is definitely faster than the GTX card, but only buy it if you want to play any RAY TRACING game. For 1080p/60Hz, the GTX 1660Ti seems to be a much better option, IMO. Though, if you have the cash to spend, then you can grab the RTX 2060.

But I don't think it's worth buying an RTX GPU, given how few games have support for RTX.. The performance gain is surely there though, even in non-RTX PC titles. You need to decide what suits your budget.

lux1109

Reputable
BANNED
Apr 30, 2019
That RTX GPU is definitely faster than the GTX card, but only buy it if you want to play any RAY TRACING game. For 1080p/60Hz, the GTX 1660Ti seems to be a much better option, IMO. Though, if you have the cash to spend, then you can grab the RTX 2060.

But I don't think it's worth buying an RTX GPU, given how few games have support for RTX.. The performance gain is surely there though, even in non-RTX PC titles. You need to decide what suits your budget

Okay. I'm actually stuck in a dilemma. I'm not that much interested in ray tracing, but if that RTX GPU is worth buying, then I might consider it. Some eye candy, yes ? But isn't ray tracing just a fancy gimmick ? If there is a huge PRICE diff between these 2 cards near my location, then the GTX 1660Ti would be my choice for now. I will let you know soon though.

But isn't ray tracing just a fancy gimmick ?

Nope. It's not a gimmick though. It's an industry standard CGI. It is pretty much in it's "infancy" stage as well. RTX won't be becoming mainstream anytime soon. Modern GPUs these days don't have enough horsepower to ray trace the entire scene, in a single frame, by rendering physically accurate reflections, refractions, shadows, and indirect lighting.. That's why it comes with a performance loss.

The current Bounding Volume Hierarchy (BVH) algorithm, as well as the Denoising Filter both also needs to be refined. To get maximum performance, shaders for all the objects in the scene need to be loaded into GPU memory and ready to go when intersections need to be calculated.

BTW, on an OFF topic note, apart from all the above factors, it seems we are basically paying an "early adopter" price for this new Turing tech/hardware, hence the premium. I know Nvidia has totally changed the GPU arch as well, with the addition of new RT and Tensor Cores, and other design/pipeline improvements (memory/cache) etc.

But to take proper advantage of this hardware, very few games and software are currently out in the market. So basically the hardware won't get fully utilized (if we think from this perspective). Also, how well some of the upcoming Games will actually perform on a TURING GPU, with Real time ray tracing and DLSS, still remains to be seen. I think it will take at least another 2-3 years for this whole RTX technology to become mainstream.

As of now, few PC titles are going to take full advantage of this new RTX feature, provided Game developers also adopt and implement ray tracing, and DLSS deep learning AA in games as well. Still, it's good to see new Tech being released. With time things might settle down a bit, and the performance gain might be there when DLSS and Ray Tracing features are enabled.

Last edited:

lux1109

Reputable
BANNED
Apr 30, 2019
Thanks for the explanation, MM. I think I should go for the GTX 1660 Ti instead. Going to order one tomorrow. You are correct tho. Not many games are there which support that rtx tech. And, I'm not interested to see what ray tracing has to delver, be the shadows, or reflections while gaming, lol.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.