Antenna - 802.11b/g/n Compatibility

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I was looking online when I saw a simple mod for a Linksys E1200, to remove the internal antenna, and add an external one for signal boost.

LINK

My question is, I see a lot of 10dbi antenna on eBay for sale, which is what I am after (old house, dense walls, need a boost) but all seem listed as 802.11b/g.

Is an antenna an antenna? or if I use one that says 802.11b/g I won't get 802.11n?

Being eBay and from China... because of the language barrier, there is 0 point in asking the sellers. :)

That mod may or may not work, depending upon the antenna you purchase....I would suggest either using a powerline adapter to extend the wired network, run an ethernet cable (best solution), or use a moca adapter. If you purchase an antenna, and mess up - you may lose your router also....

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I have 4 computers running on ethernet... the WiFi is for the tablets and phones so, ethernet drops not an option.

Router I am willing to sacrifice... I'm having issues right now connection wise anyways, and may end up buying a new router regardless. But, if off eBay, the 'upgrade' is under $5 so figured why not. Extenders and adapters wouldn't be near that cheap.

But... not the point... should I or shouldn't I isn't the question... it's that most antenna listed on eBay are listed as 802.11b/g, and will they work on a Wireless N router?

Again, China/eBay... getting all the details accurate and up to date, doesn't really happen often.

Plus... even if not a mod.... let's say this was a Wireless N router with a detachable 3dbi antenna and I wanted to remove it and add a 10dbi antenna... same question... is an antenna and antenna?