Nov 29, 2020
I chose a Maximus XII Hero motherboard from Asus, which has an included WiFi 6 antenna. However, I dislike this antenna, as it falls down easily and comes apart from even the slightest bump. My question is, is it possible to buy a different antenna, whether from an included wireless adapter PCI-E card or otherwise and still use the cable hookups on the motherboard itself?

What I would do if you are looking to replace the antenna is to solve the main issue with a motherboard or PCIE card based wifi. You want to move the antenna away from the back of the machine. All the metal in the case and other parts blocks a lot of signals. They sell kits that have short wires that lets you place the antenna on top of the computer. Asus is one of the better known vendors that sold these but pretty much you can get them from many places. Wifi antenna all use the same connector now days. The FCC regulated it to make it harder to hook up large antenna but it does mean that any antenna for wifi will work. There is nothing special about wifi6. It runs on 5g like all the older types of wifi. The optimum length for a antenna that can run 2.4 and 5g is so close that you can interchange them with no issues.

Reactions: JosieGoth
Nov 29, 2020
What I would do if you are looking to replace the antenna is to solve the main issue with a motherboard or PCIE card based wifi. You want to move the antenna away from the back of the machine. All the metal in the case and other parts blocks a lot of signals. They sell kits that have short wires that lets you place the antenna on top of the computer. Asus is one of the better known vendors that sold these but pretty much you can get them from many places. Wifi antenna all use the same connector now days. The FCC regulated it to make it harder to hook up large antenna but it does mean that any antenna for wifi will work. There is nothing special about wifi6. It runs on 5g like all the older types of wifi. The optimum length for a antenna that can run 2.4 and 5g is so close that you can interchange them with no issues.

Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XLP199J?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

It looks really stable and unable to fall over.

Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XLP199J?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

It looks really stable and unable to fall over.
Im actually using that adapter minus bluetooth (ASUS PCE-AC56), and its been great.
Its a bit overpriced if you dont use it fully (I did in college, internet at home is far too slow so its a tad overkill).
The antennas are very sturdy and the base does not tip over or anything like that. It does not stick to vertical surfaces very well though.

Reactions: JosieGoth
Nov 29, 2020
Im actually using that adapter minus bluetooth (ASUS PCE-AC56), and its been great.
Its a bit overpriced if you dont use it fully (I did in college, internet at home is far too slow so its a tad overkill).
The antennas are very sturdy and the base does not tip over or anything like that. It does not stick to vertical surfaces very well though.
Thank you, I think I'll go with this one, then.

Solution