Anti Aliasing in Geforce 3

G

So first of all i don't have a GF so i'm asking how much better is the picture and what improvements does it provide? I was just wondering what antialiasing is all about in a way..

Also I was wondering when u select one mode can u set up a hotkey to change it?

Cause I hear Quincunx is real nice but you really won't be able to use it in all games... So do you have to go back and change the setting depending on the game you wish to play.. cause i mean while CS will be able to use it... something new will just have too bad of a framerate?

There are only 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not!

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Anti Aliasing is hard to explain but it is basically how smooth the edges of the graphics look. If you do not have anti-aliasing you have jagged edges and when you do enable ant-aliasing you have smooth and realistic looking edges. I guess there are varing degress of this technology and the GF3 has a better and also faster way to do this I hear.

I have a GF3 card and am amazed by the difference from the anti-alaising features turned on and off. I don't have much experience with other cards since I'm pretty new to computer gaming but it's amazing. I have the Asus v8200 GF3 card.

Eric

G

I dont think AA is amazing at all. I would much rather have my game have high fps then an almost unnoticable jaggy reduction. Thats just my thought.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The gf3's aa is so powerful you can run any game(from today) with aa on at 1048x768 and even some at 1280x1048 and get 50+ fps, which is plenty fast. If you dont like unplayability with the fsaa on, ditch the kryoII or radeon you have and buy a real videocard ;-P

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

well thnx for ur opinions.. anone else have any wise words to share?

There are only 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not!

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Yea don't worry about sacrificing FPS for AA. I can run games easily with AA on at 1280x1024 (32 bit) at 70FPS with no problems.

Plenty of overhead with the GF3

Eric

I am what I am.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I have a real video card thank you, having FSAA maybe ok if you like things blurred somewhat. I rather have high resolutions with sharp textures and blends vice an artificial blurring to make it look better. GF3s are nice but does have its faults like any other card.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
You claimed you had to give up fast framerates to have fsaa, I showed you did not. That was my point, you can have both high res/good fps AND fsaa.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I just realized noko wasnt the one who I replied to at first. So pretend that previous comment was directed at the first guy if he had replied with what noko said, confused yet, I am.

To Noko.

Liking fsaa is a personal preference, but if you turn it off the gf3 will still smoke any other graphics card available today. (especially at those high res's you like so much).

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Yes the GF3 is the fastest 3d card in most things, and Nvidia first high quality 3d rendering card. I like anisotropic filtering more then FSAA, just my preference. The GF3 does have the highest quality anisotropic filtering but with a significant performance degradation. While the Radeon has a higher level of anisotropy of 16 compared to the GF3 8 the GF3 uses trilinear filter texture pixels while the Radeon only uses bilinear. In short the GF3 does a much better job between the level of detail (different mip maps of the same texture) then the Radeon which have transitions leading to texture aliasing. The performance hit doing anisotropic filetering on the Radeon is minor compaired to the GF3. In fact using 64tap on the GF3 and 64tap on the Radeon doing benchmarking of Serious Sam lead to virtually the same FPS at 1024x768x32 in Serious Sam. Pretty interesting when one card has 5.5ns ram and the other has a cross-bar memory controller with 3.8ns ram. There is a reason for that if you want to know.