Anti Aliasing isn't working in any game I play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2018
My specs
Gtx 1080
i7 7700k
16 gb ddr4 ram

In almost every game I play my Anti Aliasing doesn't do anything to get rid of the stair case effect. I've tried using a DDU and reinstall my drivers, I've tried super sampling, enhancing AA through Nvidia Control Panel but nothing seems to be working. If anyone knows somehow to fix this issue, i will be so happy. Here is game play of The Witcher 3 where you can see the aliasing everywhere and it's almost unplayable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwWtfPGmFkQ

Solution
Every game mentioned so far in this thread uses deferred rendering, which does not work with conventional antialiasing like supersampling or MSAA.

The post filter types do work but add more blurring, and the mentioned DSR is a way to brute-force a rudimentary form of supersampling which doesn't look too hot. It's just straight ordered-grid because it's simply scaled down, with no rotation, random/stochastic, or poisson/jitter sampling algorithm. Those are the methods that make supersampling look good.
Aug 27, 2018

No, it's not just the Witcher 3 though. Overwatch, R6S and even For Honor. Text in game also has the stair way effect.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
1080p 24" should look fine, there will be something these games have in common like an option to crisp up the picture with a sharpening option, it used to be temporal Anti-Aliasing or taa. There is nothing wrong with your hardware or drivers ill make that loud and clear.

Have you tried dsr or scaling options in game? Remember, if you use dsr (ie 4x) from Nvidia you need to select the higher resolutions it gives in game for it to work.

Every game mentioned so far in this thread uses deferred rendering, which does not work with conventional antialiasing like supersampling or MSAA.

The post filter types do work but add more blurring, and the mentioned DSR is a way to brute-force a rudimentary form of supersampling which doesn't look too hot. It's just straight ordered-grid because it's simply scaled down, with no rotation, random/stochastic, or poisson/jitter sampling algorithm. Those are the methods that make supersampling look good.

Solution
Aug 27, 2018

What exactly can i do to make the picture quality while keeping my FPS high, also what should i put DSR on?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
BFG's answer is quite impressive, obviously knows what hes on about.

Imo instead of trying to use aa to make 1080p look good in these games using this type of rendering technique, id put forth the idea, would a 1440p monitor look better.

Aug 27, 2018

I wouldn't want to spend more money for another monitor, i only just got another 144hz last week

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Muck around with dsr and aa settings till you get something you like, theres not much else you can do really.

Dsr, check a few settings in nvidiacp, 0.20x and 0.50x. Don't want to go too high otherwise it will impact performance quite a bit. Once ticked, the extra resolutions above 1080p will be in the game's resolution list. Try this and play around with aa, even turn it off.

Aug 27, 2018

I've messed around with DSR and tried many options. Found out playing at 1440p completely fixes my problem and removes most edges that i had problems with. Thanks for your help man, i appreciate it so much!!!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Page not found.

No, monitors just show the image. What im saying is even with aa the resolution is too low to make any visual difference.

With amds vsr, if it's anything like nvidia's dsr it adds extra resolutions in-game for you to choose. If vsr works the same way just enabling it wont do anything until you set the resolution in-game.

Status
Not open for further replies.