[SOLVED] Anti Aliasing looks off in every video game - 2080ti please help im going insane

laurenelizabethharvey

Commendable
Jul 26, 2018
Afternoon!

simplified spec list - if u need more deets just ask :)
not likely to be a build part compatability issue, it's an omen prebuilt by hp (yes ik but i had a valid student discount and gpus are hard to come by so pls dont roast)

i9 10900k
2080 ti
32gb ram
800w 80+ psu
ssd and hdd

Bit of an odd one, but thought I'd finally ask here after weeks of issues.

So in every game, I'm noticing that kind of flickering anti aliasing lines on edges of some textures in games, from resident evil 8 to simple graphics games like the sims 4. An extreme example of this was intense flicking of some bits of water in rise of the tomb raider, which was made worse or better by changing the anti aliasing settings in game, but never truly fixed. In every game, I'm definitely noticing staircase effects on some lines, and other flickery stuff, all anti aliasing stuff for sure. just far away lines, edges of doors, those fine lines, are just looking weirdly flickery in every game.

Things I've tried
-trying literally every anti aliasing setting in these games, some improvement on max settings but still not quite the same as it used to be. something has changed for sure.
  • In Nvidia settings, making anti aliasing x8 etc, maxxed out all anti aliasing settings in there
  • sent pc to hp, and literally got a brand new 2080ti put in and reset windows back to default, still persists.
  • moved from 1080p to 4k montior and upped resolution, issue persists.

I really want it fixed tbh because its driving me up the wall, any ideas literally at all are welcome!

Solution
First monitor is 144hz 1080p MSI MAG241C Curved monitor, secondary monitor is LG Ultra HD 4k 60hz monitor, i work on a dual monitor setup, dragging a game from one monitor to the other, issue persists. the issue only really improves when i play in 4k,but even then the weird flickering is still noticeable.

oldest drivers i could find for the 2080ti on the nvidia website were from december 2020, when i was still experiencing this issue, so i doubt reverting back will help.
It could just be a refresh rate issue. It's not really the same situation, but I discovered on my own setup, that my 144Hz monitor would have flickering when my TV is hooked up unless I set both to 60Hz. Setting it back to a single monitor will remove the...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Stuff like that is Geforce driver and possibly game specific. Either game has or hasn't had an update or Geforce driver has introduced bugs. Probably since Geforce 3xxx release, drivers for, need to be weary and fall back to versions that were current for your card gen if experience problems with later versions.

This problem forced you fault hardware initially, was most likely not the case since gpu was replaced and that in my experience, software is responsible most of the time with graphical frame artefacts.

laurenelizabethharvey

Commendable
Jul 26, 2018
Stuff like that is Geforce driver and possibly game specific. Either game has or hasn't had an update or Geforce driver has introduced bugs. Probably since Geforce 3xxx release, drivers for, need to be weary and fall back to versions that were current for your card gen if experience problems with later versions.

This problem forced you fault hardware initially, was most likely not the case since gpu was replaced and that in my experience, software is responsible most of the time with graphical frame artefacts.
Thanks for the reply! Is there a specific driver you would recommend reverting back to? Thanks :)

laurenelizabethharvey

Commendable
Jul 26, 2018
What monitor models have you used in testing? What refresh rates? Were you using single or dual monitor setups?

First monitor is 144hz 1080p MSI MAG241C Curved monitor, secondary monitor is LG Ultra HD 4k 60hz monitor, i work on a dual monitor setup, dragging a game from one monitor to the other, issue persists. the issue only really improves when i play in 4k,but even then the weird flickering is still noticeable.

oldest drivers i could find for the 2080ti on the nvidia website were from december 2020, when i was still experiencing this issue, so i doubt reverting back will help.

It could just be a refresh rate issue. It's not really the same situation, but I discovered on my own setup, that my 144Hz monitor would have flickering when my TV is hooked up unless I set both to 60Hz. Setting it back to a single monitor will remove the flicker regardless of refresh rate. The refresh rate mismatch with dual displays is what is causing flickering for me at least. So changing the monitor settings so both monitors are set to 60Hz when using dual monitor setups, whether cloned or spanned, could possibly fix the issue.

You didnt say what model of LG monitor, but it's probably an IPS panel. I was originally thinking it might be an issue that VA panels have with smearing/ghosting. Your 144Hz monitor is a VA panel.

Solution