Anti-Anti-Virus Software

Me and my friend were trying to set up our laptop so that it could play
some mpeg file I made to memorialize someone. It had Windows Media
Player, so all was fine, and there were some issues regarding setting
it up to play in a digital projector. But every 20 seconds, an urgent
reminder kept appearing about how I need to update my Norton Antivirus
file. Every 20 seconds! Because of that, there was a chance that would
appear every 20 seconds during the presentation, so me and my friend
uninstalled the Norton Antivirus software. After all, my friend did not
purchase this or even download it for free- it came with the Compaq.
The only way to eliminate this problem is to get rid of the software.
Mo did not care, after all, he has never had a virus in his life. The
extent of his computer issues relate to spyware, spam, pop-ups, and an
undefragmented hard drive. Who the hell has ever had a virus anyway?
Anyone?

These evil companies like Norton and McAfee are far, far worse as
infectant programs and as time-wasting pieces of memory than I can
imagine any virus to be. Shame on them! They are far worse than any
virus that the media dreams up and invents.

Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon is a sham, is a
way to get you to spend money on anti-virus software, which runs every
18 seconds reminding you to download new anti-virus software because
even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820 times, you might
get one now.

-Jonathan Wolfson

"Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Me and my friend were trying to set up our laptop so that it could play
> some mpeg file I made to memorialize someone. It had Windows Media
> Player, so all was fine, and there were some issues regarding setting
> it up to play in a digital projector. But every 20 seconds, an urgent
> reminder kept appearing about how I need to update my Norton Antivirus
> file. Every 20 seconds! Because of that, there was a chance that would
> appear every 20 seconds during the presentation, so me and my friend
> uninstalled the Norton Antivirus software. After all, my friend did not
> purchase this or even download it for free- it came with the Compaq.
> The only way to eliminate this problem is to get rid of the software.
> Mo did not care, after all, he has never had a virus in his life. The
> extent of his computer issues relate to spyware, spam, pop-ups, and an
> undefragmented hard drive. Who the hell has ever had a virus anyway?
> Anyone?
>
> These evil companies like Norton and McAfee are far, far worse as
> infectant programs and as time-wasting pieces of memory than I can
> imagine any virus to be. Shame on them! They are far worse than any
> virus that the media dreams up and invents.
>
> Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon is a sham, is a
> way to get you to spend money on anti-virus software, which runs every
> 18 seconds reminding you to download new anti-virus software because
> even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820 times, you might
> get one now.
>
> -Jonathan Wolfson

Nice troll, should hook a few.

Kerry

How come that has never happened to me? I do not run AV software. Also,
I am not a corporation. So why do AV programs get pre-installed on user
systems? And can't computer makes make them a lot less intrusive and
much more in the background? By default they should be way in the
background, not in the forefront. Another thing is the loud noises the
software makes when demanding an update. To fix this problem for my
aunt who was complaining, I simply uninstalled her two antivirus
programs on her new PC. She will not be infected, I bet.

In news:1119623872.766594.324600@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
Jonathan Wolfson <jon3825@gmail.com> typed:

> Who the
> hell has ever had a virus anyway? Anyone?

Thousands and thousands of people.

> These evil companies like Norton and McAfee are far, far worse
> as
> infectant programs and as time-wasting pieces of memory than I
> can
> imagine any virus to be. Shame on them! They are far worse than
> any
> virus that the media dreams up and invents.
>
> Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon is a
> sham, is
> a way to get you to spend money on anti-virus software, which
> runs
> every 18 seconds reminding you to download new anti-virus
> software
> because even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820
> times,
> you might get one now.

Nonsense. I've never been infected with a virus, but my antivirus
software has stopped viruses here more than once. I personally
know many people who have been infected.

If you want to be foolhardy enough to run without anti-virus
software, that's your choice. But don't advice others to follow
your foolish ways.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Jonathan Wolfson wrote:
> How come that has never happened to me? I do not run AV software. Also,
> I am not a corporation. So why do AV programs get pre-installed on user
> systems? And can't computer makes make them a lot less intrusive and
> much more in the background? By default they should be way in the
> background, not in the forefront. Another thing is the loud noises the
> software makes when demanding an update. To fix this problem for my
> aunt who was complaining, I simply uninstalled her two antivirus
> programs on her new PC. She will not be infected, I bet.

Viruses are tricky...
I suggest AVG Anti Virus - free (Home) edition.

Scott wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:23:03 -0400, "kurttrail"
> <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
> >
> >When the OP is done with the shotgun, take a turn yourself!
>
> Go piss up a rope you sanctimonious SOB.

There's alot of love in these threads.

Again, what about pc's that only one person uses? Intrusive AV software
should be installed only on PC's that are going to be shared. Companies
should sell personal PC's as well as public-used PC's as a distinct
category, and only the latter should be equipped to a massive extent
with AV software.

Treeman wrote:
> Jonathan,
> Depends on where you go & what you download from the internet. I just
> worked on a laptop that had 447 instances of spyware/adware & 14
> viruses!
> It was used at school & all her friends had access to it.
> I used to use Norton products, but I've switched to Nod32 on all of my
> computers. (4) http://www.nod32.com/
> There are plenty of free anti-virus programs out there.
> Someone will post a list for you.
> Best,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

Jonathan,
Depends on where you go & what you download from the internet. I just
worked on a laptop that had 447 instances of spyware/adware & 14
viruses!
It was used at school & all her friends had access to it.
I used to use Norton products, but I've switched to Nod32 on all of my
computers. (4) http://www.nod32.com/
There are plenty of free anti-virus programs out there.
Someone will post a list for you.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

If you really feel this way, please go off line now and stay off because
soon you will be spreading viruses all over the web and being used to spam
us. You don't want protection? Fine, that's your right, but as I said, get
the hell off line, NOW!

"Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Me and my friend were trying to set up our laptop so that it could play
> some mpeg file I made to memorialize someone. It had Windows Media
> Player, so all was fine, and there were some issues regarding setting
> it up to play in a digital projector. But every 20 seconds, an urgent
> reminder kept appearing about how I need to update my Norton Antivirus
> file. Every 20 seconds! Because of that, there was a chance that would
> appear every 20 seconds during the presentation, so me and my friend
> uninstalled the Norton Antivirus software. After all, my friend did not
> purchase this or even download it for free- it came with the Compaq.
> The only way to eliminate this problem is to get rid of the software.
> Mo did not care, after all, he has never had a virus in his life. The
> extent of his computer issues relate to spyware, spam, pop-ups, and an
> undefragmented hard drive. Who the hell has ever had a virus anyway?
> Anyone?
>
> These evil companies like Norton and McAfee are far, far worse as
> infectant programs and as time-wasting pieces of memory than I can
> imagine any virus to be. Shame on them! They are far worse than any
> virus that the media dreams up and invents.
>
> Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon is a sham, is a
> way to get you to spend money on anti-virus software, which runs every
> 18 seconds reminding you to download new anti-virus software because
> even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820 times, you might
> get one now.
>
> -Jonathan Wolfson

As long as her computer no connection with the rest of the world she
will be just fine.

Jonathan Wolfson wrote:

> How come that has never happened to me? I do not run AV software. Also,
> I am not a corporation. So why do AV programs get pre-installed on user
> systems? And can't computer makes make them a lot less intrusive and
> much more in the background? By default they should be way in the
> background, not in the forefront. Another thing is the loud noises the
> software makes when demanding an update. To fix this problem for my
> aunt who was complaining, I simply uninstalled her two antivirus
> programs on her new PC. She will not be infected, I bet.

"Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Me and my friend were trying to set up our laptop so that it could play
> some mpeg file I made to memorialize someone. It had Windows Media
> Player, so all was fine, and there were some issues regarding setting
> it up to play in a digital projector. But every 20 seconds, an urgent
> reminder kept appearing about how I need to update my Norton Antivirus
> file. Every 20 seconds! Because of that, there was a chance that would
> appear every 20 seconds during the presentation, so me and my friend
> uninstalled the Norton Antivirus software. After all, my friend did not
> purchase this or even download it for free- it came with the Compaq.
> The only way to eliminate this problem is to get rid of the software.
> Mo did not care, after all, he has never had a virus in his life. The
> extent of his computer issues relate to spyware, spam, pop-ups, and an
> undefragmented hard drive. Who the hell has ever had a virus anyway?
> Anyone?
>
> These evil companies like Norton and McAfee are far, far worse as
> infectant programs and as time-wasting pieces of memory than I can
> imagine any virus to be. Shame on them! They are far worse than any
> virus that the media dreams up and invents.
>
> Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon is a sham, is a
> way to get you to spend money on anti-virus software, which runs every
> 18 seconds reminding you to download new anti-virus software because
> even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820 times, you might
> get one now.
>
> -Jonathan Wolfson

I want you to find a dictionary...any one will do. Okay, now I want you to
look up the word "Idiot". Find it? How cool...it's a picture of
you...right there in the dictionary...under the word Idiot! But wait...it
gets better! There are other pictures of you...under Loser, Stupid,
Ignorant,
Dolt...well you get the picture.

Your are a cretin.

You do not deserve to own a computer.

Bobby

You may think it's a sham now, but just wait until the system gets hit
by a virus. It's not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. In this
day an age an antivirus program is a must. I do agree with you that
NAV and McAfee are junk. I would never recommend either. You will find
my suggestions here:
Virus and Spyware removal and prevention
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Jonathan Wolfson wrote:
> Me and my friend were trying to set up our laptop so that
> it could play some mpeg file I made to memorialize
> someone. It had Windows Media Player, so all was fine,
> and there were some issues regarding setting it up to
> play in a digital projector. But every 20 seconds, an
> urgent reminder kept appearing about how I need to update
> my Norton Antivirus file. Every 20 seconds! Because of
> that, there was a chance that would appear every 20
> seconds during the presentation, so me and my friend
> uninstalled the Norton Antivirus software. After all, my
> friend did not purchase this or even download it for
> free- it came with the Compaq. The only way to eliminate
> this problem is to get rid of the software. Mo did not
> care, after all, he has never had a virus in his life.
> The extent of his computer issues relate to spyware,
> spam, pop-ups, and an undefragmented hard drive. Who the
> hell has ever had a virus anyway? Anyone?
>
> These evil companies like Norton and McAfee are far, far
> worse as infectant programs and as time-wasting pieces of
> memory than I can imagine any virus to be. Shame on them!
> They are far worse than any virus that the media dreams
> up and invents.
>
> Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon
> is a sham, is a way to get you to spend money on
> anti-virus software, which runs every 18 seconds
> reminding you to download new anti-virus software because
> even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820
> times, you might get one now.
>
> -Jonathan Wolfson

You get shots when you are a child to prevent a catastrophic (pardon my
spelling) sickness that could kill you. The chances of you getting that
virus in this day and age may be slim, however I would rather have a few
shots than die, I'm sure most people would agree.

A computer virus works the same way. If you leave your computer completely
open to attack, you are just waiting for a disaster. You don't think that a
virus can harm your system? Maybe it's easy for you, if you don't mind
reformating your hard drive or loosing all of your data, but consider an
accountant of a large coorporation...a virus comes in and completely wipes
all the financial records which could cost millions to replace. Leaving
important systems volunerable is not a wise choice.

Additionally, a virus could deny access to important services, remove users
from being able to logon, run your hardware to it's maximum, (often times
shortening the life of your system). There are too many chances that I for
one am not willing to take.

So antivirus software isn't pleasant...but in my opion much better than the
alternative. Most AV programs are setup to be flexible...you can select
options to update the virus definitions when it is convienient for you.

Jason Ryon

Jonathan Wolfson wrote:
> Me and my friend were trying to set up our laptop so that it could
> play some mpeg file I made to memorialize someone. It had Windows
> Media Player, so all was fine, and there were some issues regarding
> setting it up to play in a digital projector. But every 20 seconds,
> an urgent reminder kept appearing about how I need to update my
> Norton Antivirus file. Every 20 seconds! Because of that, there was a
> chance that would appear every 20 seconds during the presentation, so
> me and my friend uninstalled the Norton Antivirus software. After
> all, my friend did not purchase this or even download it for free- it
> came with the Compaq. The only way to eliminate this problem is to
> get rid of the software. Mo did not care, after all, he has never had
> a virus in his life. The extent of his computer issues relate to
> spyware, spam, pop-ups, and an undefragmented hard drive. Who the
> hell has ever had a virus anyway? Anyone?
>
> These evil companies like Norton and McAfee are far, far worse as
> infectant programs and as time-wasting pieces of memory than I can
> imagine any virus to be. Shame on them! They are far worse than any
> virus that the media dreams up and invents.
>
> Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon is a sham, is
> a way to get you to spend money on anti-virus software, which runs
> every 18 seconds reminding you to download new anti-virus software
> because even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820 times,
> you might get one now.

Insert shotgun barrel in your mouth and pull the trigger, and your
problems should disappear.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Hi Jason,

The only statement I would challenge, is "The chances of you getting
that virus in this day and age may be slim". The chance of getting a
virus/Trojan increases each day. The change can also depend on one's
surfing habits. However, this will not prevent getting virus/Trojan
via email. This is why antivirus software is a must, IMO.

--

Jason Ryon wrote:
> You get shots when you are a child to prevent a catastrophic (pardon
> my spelling) sickness that could kill you. The chances of you
> getting that virus in this day and age may be slim, however I would
> rather have a few shots than die, I'm sure most people would agree.
>
> A computer virus works the same way. If you leave your computer
> completely open to attack, you are just waiting for a disaster. You
> don't think that a virus can harm your system? Maybe it's easy for
> you, if you don't mind reformating your hard drive or loosing all of
> your data, but consider an accountant of a large coorporation...a
> virus comes in and completely wipes all the financial records which
> could cost millions to replace. Leaving important systems
> volunerable is not a wise choice.
>
> Additionally, a virus could deny access to important services, remove
> users from being able to logon, run your hardware to it's maximum,
> (often times shortening the life of your system). There are too many
> chances that I for one am not willing to take.
>
> So antivirus software isn't pleasant...but in my opion much better
> than the alternative. Most AV programs are setup to be
> flexible...you can select options to update the virus definitions
> when it is convienient for you.

Norton AV is not a better alternative that many viruses.

But there are some decent AV programs out there, NAV just isn't one of
them.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Lou

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:13:19 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
<kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:

>Nice troll, should hook a few.
>
>Kerry

I give it a 3.5. Far better was "noise as a snore in memory when computer is in
idle" in mpsv recently, a 7.

Jonathan Wolfson wrote:
> Again, what about pc's that only one person uses? Intrusive AV
> software should be installed only on PC's that are going to be
> shared. Companies should sell personal PC's as well as public-used
> PC's as a distinct category, and only the latter should be equipped
> to a massive extent with AV software.

LOL! Any PC that is on the net without AV is a likely shared computer,
it is just the owner is unaware that it is being shared.

If you want a computer built to your specs, then deal with small local
OEMs, not multinational corporations, or build it yourself.

From: "Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com>

| Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon is a sham, is a
| way to get you to spend money on anti-virus software, which runs every
| 18 seconds reminding you to download new anti-virus software because
| even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820 times, you might
| get one now.
|
| -Jonathan Wolfson

That's plain bullsh!t and FUD !!

Did you not hear about the Mastercard, American Express, Vias and Discover card processing
house infection ?

A Credit Card processor for the above Credit Card organizations was infected with a virus
and was able to steal tens of thousands of credit card accounts and compramised as many as
40 Million total !

You know NOTHING about computer infectors. You don't how organized crime has created
malware to steal personal information. You don't know about zombied computers acting as
proxy spam agents. You don't know about Internet worms causing 100's of millions of Dollars
in damages on corporate networks.

If you care to discuss this topic further, I suggest going to...

alt.comp.virus

and/or

alt.comp.anti-virus

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Sometimes, I daydream myself. Like the time I figured out that I've never
been in a car accident. So, why would I need a car with air bags or a seat
belt I wondered. Then, I wokeup.

Laptops, or PCs for that matter, if used in the old defintion of
"standalone" (no internet or LAN access), and you don't frequent trial,
shared, or otherwise given to you software, you may be okay without AV
loaded. Beware anything you load on your laptop though. Common sense goes
a long way.

Am not an idiot though. You never mentioned any kind of external access
from the laptop. You left that in left field for someone to guess
(trolling?), If so, the laptop needs an AV, period.

NAV doesn't bug the user every 20 seconds when the definitions are out of
date. Try again. Windows Security Center (XP SP2) may depending how its
setup, and what the user choosed to do when prompted. If this is too
difficult to figure out for you or this Mo fella, maybe you better leave the
AV installed in case the user fails an error in judgment when negotiating
some decision to install or insert some media on the laptop.

Have a nice day.

"Lou" <none@example.org> wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:13:19 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
> <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:
>
>>Nice troll, should hook a few.
>>
>>Kerry
>
> I give it a 3.5. Far better was "noise as a snore in memory when computer
> is in
> idle" in mpsv recently, a 7.

That one was pretty good. I'm still not sure if it was a language problem or
a troll. This is a busier group so this one will generate more traffic :)

Kerry

kurttrail wrote:

> You should talk sexual predator! You are worse than the trolls in this
> thread, namely the OP and its backers. I am one that is frustrating the
> trolls. I believe in giving trolls attention, but not necessarily the
> kind of attention they were seeking.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Barry White. He makes the best makeout music known to man. Nothing
today can even begin tocompare. I think there is some sort of
intonation in his voice that drives chicks nuts.

Lou

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:36:01 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote:

>If you really feel this way, please go off line now and stay off because
>soon you will be spreading viruses all over the web and being used to spam
>us. You don't want protection? Fine, that's your right, but as I said, get
>the hell off line, NOW!

AMEN.

On 24 Jun 2005 08:28:49 -0700, in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general ,
"Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com> in
<1119626929.748645.19160@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> wrote:

>How come that has never happened to me? I do not run AV software. Also,
>I am not a corporation. So why do AV programs get pre-installed on user
>systems? And can't computer makes make them a lot less intrusive and
>much more in the background? By default they should be way in the
>background, not in the forefront. Another thing is the loud noises the
>software makes when demanding an update. To fix this problem for my
>aunt who was complaining, I simply uninstalled her two antivirus
>programs on her new PC. She will not be infected, I bet.

Troll? Yep.

--
Matt Silberstein

Lou

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:03:16 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
<kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:

>"Lou" <none@example.org> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:13:19 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
>> <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:
>>
>>>Nice troll, should hook a few.
>>>
>>>Kerry
>>
>> I give it a 3.5. Far better was "noise as a snore in memory when computer
>> is in
>> idle" in mpsv recently, a 7.
>
>That one was pretty good. I'm still not sure if it was a language problem or
>a troll. This is a busier group so this one will generate more traffic :)

If Miss Tick gets involved, I'd give that a certainty. Without her, well, the
"I don't need a firewall" / "I don't need anti-virus" etc lamers are so common,
everything said here has been said so many times... ;-}