Anti-Depressants Used Against StarCraft Addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

griddlez

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hmm, I play more than that. In-fact I leave SC2 on all the time just so when I return from work I can log in quicker.

Who's for some FFA?!

G

Welbutrin is also a drug to treat drug addiction. Go figure.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Why not just enroll in a swimming class or some other form of activity? Geesh. No need to make the drug companies rich over a video game.[/citation]You gonna tell that to an addict? Hey man, just put down the pipe and start swimming... you'll feel better in no time. These people are ADDICTED to this crap.

G

Why is it so hard just to say no more and put it down? It isn't, it's just immature and weak willed/minded people.

I bet this will get down thumbed by those who can't face the cold hard truth.

tetracycloide

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]You gonna tell that to an addict? Hey man, just put down the pipe and start swimming... you'll feel better in no time. These people are ADDICTED to this crap.[/citation]
Compulsive gaming is not an addiction. Compulsive disorders can fixate on gaming the same way they can fixate on washing hands or eating but they're not the same thing. There's no such thing as 'gaming addiction.'

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]You gonna tell that to an addict? Hey man, just put down the pipe and start swimming... you'll feel better in no time. These people are ADDICTED to this crap.[/citation]
It doesn't take much to get up and do something else :p I had a friend who would play games for hours and hours each day, eventually I just went over and dragged him out of his house to go out. Worked out well for him, he still played but found out RL could be more fun then the games.

G

@gnookergi
You really have a very narrow view on things, I used to think like you before, that is until I went trough some very heavy personal issues which lead to me having some kind of ptsd, before that I used to think you just have to decide to do stuff it's just strong will that you need, but there was nothing I could do, I went to work but could not really concentrate, I was very nervous, I could not take coffee as I started shaking with less than a cup, I just told my boss I was going on vacation, I did not ask, had I stayed I would be wasting time and not getting better, that experience has opened up my eyes and I no longer think that strong will is all that you need, some times it just isn't enough, we all have a limit and when we go over it we simply break down

motamedn

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
This has been posted at several sites and it is consistently misleading.

Buprioprion CAN BE USED as an anti-depressant but it has another very important property: it is useful in fighting addiction. It is specifically used for smoking (one of the strongest addictions next to heroin), and would be used for things like alcoholism and other compulsive diseases (anorexia/bullemia) if it didn't have the side effect of lowering seizure threshold, which is dangerous in those populations.

Long story short: You're right. Buproprion is being used to treat starcraft addiction-and there's a story there. I just wish you wouldn't leave it described solely as an anti-depressant-which leads to all sorts of imprecise/inaccurate conclusions ("I don't need anti-depressants to stop my cravings, do I?")

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]tetracycloide[/nom]Compulsive gaming is not an addiction. Compulsive disorders can fixate on gaming the same way they can fixate on washing hands or eating but they're not the same thing. There's no such thing as 'gaming addiction.'[/citation]People have lost marriages and jobs over this crap. Your preaching to the choir. You can "think" what you want but that's all it is, just a thought.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
[citation][nom]griddlez[/nom]Hmm, I play more than that. In-fact I leave SC2 on all the time just so when I return from work I can log in quicker.Who's for some FFA?![/citation]

Me too!

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I'm sorry Jane, you just disgraced SC2 by associating it with Farmville. Now bow you're head in shame for ever thinking of "Like farmville, but with the attack function" ;) .

I used to be addicted to video games(at least in my opinion), but for some reason I suddenly just got bored of every single one. I don't know why I was enjoying them so much before. Now I just play those games with friends/online friends that are fun.

Some people are more prone to becoming addicted to things(can't think of a better word >

G

As someone with a lot of psychology training, I can assure you that although people CAN become addicted to gaming, particularly if you can talk to other people in real time (Team Speak, Ventrilo, etc). This does not mean they WILL be. Compulsive gaming is like compulsive anything else, do you play a lot, single with no job? Probably not to huge of an issue; gaming (or any other 'addiction' becomes a issue when it interferes with real life (losing job, friends, marriage, etc). If you play 8 hours a day, fine, but if you play then lie about what you did for those 8 hours...it's time to get some professional help. Buproprion IS a anti-depressant, and ONE study said it was mildly effective. All I am saying is this: consider the source of whatever you are reading.

sockso

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
‎"The participants also underwent MRI scans that showed they responded less strongly to seeing pictures of Zerglings..." hee hee hee...

tetracycloide

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]People have lost marriages and jobs over this crap. Your preaching to the choir. You can "think" what you want but that's all it is, just a thought.[/citation]
I'm not sure what people loosing marriages has to do with anything. No one is claiming that compulsive disorders cannot be hugely damaging to the lives of those suffering from them and the people around them who care about them. All I'm saying is there's a distinction between a compulsive disorder, like compulsive gambling, and an addiction to a psychoactive substance, like heroin, and using the same word to describe the two is unnecessary and misleading conflation.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I seriously don't believe there's a 'game addiction'. Case in point, I used to play games nonstop(wait...used to?)when I was younger. My dad cold-hard believed I was addicted, and forced me in to counseling over it. He wouldn't just take it away from me, just dog me about it. to prove him wrong, I just quit the computer for a month. I didn't have a breakdown, or get addicted to something else. I just spent my time outside instead.
Yes, it's just one case, but if that was so easy for me, I can't see how it's different for anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS