Anti-Downloading Law Goes Live in Japan: 2 Years in Prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Where does that put a Japanese user of YouTube?
I mean there is plenty of questionable material there. Is watching an unauthorized music video 'downloading' ?
Is uploading to YouTube getting you 10 years ?

captainblacko

Honorable
May 21, 2012
[citation][nom]may1[/nom]It's simply a law to stop stupid people (basically the majority of Japanese users) downloading illegal contents.[/citation]

Have you any facts or figures to back up that comment?

curiosul

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
[citation][nom]may1[/nom]It's pretty much ineffective, cyberlockers won't get you caught, and you can easily hide your IP using free public proxy servers on torrents. It's simply a law to stop stupid people (basically the majority of Japanese users) downloading illegal contents.[/citation]

It's not really ineffective. if it makes 10% of people to start buying things they would illegally download otherwise, the RIAJ got their lobby money back with interest. The way I see it, it's not about being right, it's about economics: biggest return (more people buying records) on the smallest investment (lobby a few politicians).

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]captainblacko[/nom]Have you any facts or figures to back up that comment?[/citation]
The majority isn't dumb but they aren't smart enough to use proxy or VPN to download safely so these types of things are made for that reason. These laws won't stop the smart users who know how to hide (which are a minority).

captainblacko

Honorable
May 21, 2012
the majority of internet users wouldn't know how to use a proxy or VPN. I was just trying to suggest that he shouldn't stereotype the whole Japanese population as being stupid. Really wound me up when i first read it haha.

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Not a problem in Japan yet. "Crime" of this type is very low. I can see them trying to prevent future cultural acceptance of such activity like in the US.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]may1[/nom]It's pretty much ineffective, cyberlockers won't get you caught, and you can easily hide your IP using free public proxy servers on torrents.[/citation]

Implying free public proxy servers allow enough bandwidth for downloading. You must have never used them.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Implying free public proxy servers allow enough bandwidth for downloading. You must have never used them.[/citation]music cost a fraction of bandwidth... so brace urself soon u heard a news about some noob get jail for someone else use his internetz to DL illegal music.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Along with blowing up nuclear power plants this "illegal downloading" law puts Japan in to another 'do not want to live in' country list.
I guess soon enough an armed robbery will carry less of a sentence.

Corporate arm must be jacking-off strong in Japan to pass crap like this.

ironmb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
All you complainers are just full of shit. I have been living in Japan for the past 4 years now, and this country is far better then the US. To say you hate that country because you think "downloading illegally" makes it a terrible country is absurd. Go out and date a girl, moron.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
That awkward moment when you live in a world where stealing a song puts you in jail more time than when you kill a man by accident with your car or when you steal few billion dollars from some banks.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Instead of complaining about a law against something that should be understood as illegal anyway, or defending those who take part in illegal acts, why don't we try finding a useful suggestion for how people can enjoy content without having to steal it?

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
With the ridiculous compute on an sli rig, coupled with the guaranteed over-saturation of wireless networks, i can see many, many, people getting jail time over WEP.

While im sure there is a portion of illegal downloaders that will be influenced to buy(or ignore if they download for financial reasons) content, the reality is that there is no reliable way to track the number of downloads; every firm that speculates on these numbers, takes a small sample then arbitrarily multiplies.

I am sure we all remember the piracy claims counting losses numbering more than exist in the world.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]happyballz[/nom]Along with blowing up nuclear power plants this "illegal downloading" law puts Japan in to another 'do not want to live in' country list. I guess soon enough an armed robbery will carry less of a sentence. Corporate arm must be jacking-off strong in Japan to pass crap like this.[/citation]
It's difficult to tell if this comment is more bigoted, angry, paranoid, or just plain stupid.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Wow, I'm surprised at the amount of ignorance, animosity and jealousy regarding Japanese people.
The average Japanese IQ is about 110-120, the highest average IQ in the world.
Kenichi Ohmae has an IQ of 216, possibly the highest in the world.

mugupo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Japan forgot that themselves have one of the longest and biggest pirate fleet in history, they rampage korea, china and south east asia coast for Millennium.

Dangi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
This is just plain stupid, now going to jail for uploading or downloading music ??
Downloads that doesn't harm as much as the industry tries to make everyone believes.

With this kind of law is easier and less punitive to steal the album that downloading it, which doesn't make sense

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]captainblacko[/nom]the majority of internet users wouldn't know how to use a proxy or VPN. I was just trying to suggest that he shouldn't stereotype the whole Japanese population as being stupid. Really wound me up when i first read it haha.[/citation]

My assumption was that he intended to stereotype the whole human population as being stupid, and applied the generalization to one subset of people; which is much more fair :)

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]DjScribbles[/nom]My assumption was that he intended to stereotype the whole human population as being stupid, and applied the generalization to one subset of people; which is much more fair[/citation]

Funniest comment I've read this week! Thumbs up! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.