Anti static mat

freeman3030

Reputable
Aug 4, 2017
Hi,
I'm planning on building my own PC and would just like to clarify a couple of things with regards to an anti-static mat.
I've seen this one on eBay:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222674874136

Obviously I place the mat on the table to assemble the PC on, and pop the wrist strap on my wrist. Do I clip the crocodile clip from the wrist strap to the actual mat or the PC case? Likewise, with the yellow clip, one end snaps onto the Matt what do I clip the either end to? A radiator?
Many thanks

Solution
Components aren't so sensitive that straps and mats are really necessary.

Grounding yourself is an oft mis-used term. What you are trying to accomplish is eliminating the potential difference between two unknown states of charge between two objects. Using ground, then everything would have to be grounded. Meaning the mat would need to be attached to earth ground, your strap to the mat, and the chassis and components on the mat. This is effective and allows you to handle things with no concern.

So simple steps for safety without purchasing straps, mats and tethering yourself (which can lead to fumbles and components don't like being dropped). Don't directly touch component to component when picking them up and installing them. So say...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Components aren't so sensitive that straps and mats are really necessary.

Grounding yourself is an oft mis-used term. What you are trying to accomplish is eliminating the potential difference between two unknown states of charge between two objects. Using ground, then everything would have to be grounded. Meaning the mat would need to be attached to earth ground, your strap to the mat, and the chassis and components on the mat. This is effective and allows you to handle things with no concern.

So simple steps for safety without purchasing straps, mats and tethering yourself (which can lead to fumbles and components don't like being dropped). Don't directly touch component to component when picking them up and installing them. So say for GPU installation:

Touch the GPU's metal bracket, touch the chassis of the computer at the same time. Now you have equalized the potential difference between the component and the chassis. While holding onto the chassis with one hand, install the GPU with the other. Since the motherboard is screwed into the chassis, same thing, there is no potential difference between the motherboard and the chassis.

And some general safety, don't wear charge inducing clothing, pick up your feet when you move. Proper building surfaces can be pretty much anything.

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I agree, and a lot of it is. And most of the products that are available - really don't do anything, and some things like static gloves, are actually counter productive. You can do some serious damage to the pins if you wear gloves or use anything you can easily drop as a grounding mechanism.

The best advice I usually give is to thoroughly clean your area where you are planning to build, and don't build on carpet. If that's the only workspace available, using something like a plastic chair mat will help a great deal.