Anti Static Wrist Strap

jacksonyu721

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hello,

I recently bought a anti-static wrist strap that has one end that I can put on my wrist and the other end is an alligator clip.

First of all, I'm going to be building my PC on a wooden floor.

The main issue that I'm concerning is that I'm planning on connecting my CPU to my motherboard BEFORE it goes into the case. So where should I connect my alligator clip? Will it still work if I clip it onto the chassis that will be beside it and also on the wooden floor (It's not connected to any PSU ground btw)? Even though it is not grounded by the PSU to the wall outlet, it's still on the wooden floor so doesn't that count as grounding?

I'm not sure where to connect the alligator clip if I'm going to work on connecting my CPU on my motherboard while it is still out of the chasis.

Also, where should I lay the motherboard on? The wooden floor that I'm working on? Or on the anti-static bag that it comes with?

Thank you a lot!

JJ

Solution
Yes, you are grounded to the chassis, and the component you have in your hand is grounded to you (and to the chassis), so there will be no static electricity arc when you seat the component to the motherboard.

rolfmaomachizlin

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
You really do not need an alligator clip to build a Desktop computer, just touch a metal object before touching the parts, sometimes you will get an electric shock, a wooden surface is fine, just dont do it on a carpet.

You can place the motherboard on the anti-static bag or a flat piece of cardboard. Then you can put the bag or cardboard on a table or the wooden floor. If you want to avoid hurting your back, put the bag or the cardboard on a table. If the table has metal legs attach the alligator clip to one, if it doesn't there is nowhere for static electricity to arc. Then carefully remove the board and the CPU and HSF from the packaging. Seat the CPU and HSF onto the board. When you begin to assemble the board and its components to the case, attach the alligator clip to a bare metal place on the case.

jacksonyu721

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Thank you guys for the quick responses,

I just hope I won't fry anything.
I usually don't get any ESD or shocks, not even when I leave a car. I don't want anything to go wrong as this is my first time building a PC.

so the actual grounding still works if I connect my alligator clip to my chassis, which is not connected to any PSU or wall outlet, but is on the wooden floor?

Thanks,
JJ

reapz

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

just FYI never put an item that is ESD sensitive ontop of and ESD safe bag or any bag the way ESD bags work is that it makes a faraday cage protecting all inside it once sealed but while leaving the outside very non ESD safe whether the bag is sealed or not.