Anti-Static Wrist Straps?

May 15, 2018
Hello, I am looking to build my first computer in the next two weeks, and I am extremely confused over ESD. I live in Australia, and uncertain about how to use the wrist straps/mats and how to prevent ESD.

I've heard about plugging in the PSU while turned off and strapping your wrist strap to it, but I've also heard that this can kill you...

I've heard that consistently touching an unpainted part of the case (s340) will prevent ESD.

So what do I do? Use a wrist strap, anti-static mat or gloves?

Thanks. Josh.

Solution
Static discharge causes both component failure and degradation. The main concern is to not discharge static from you to the parts of your pc. In order to prevent this you must be at the same voltage potential as the part you are about to touch.

If you use a strap it's best to attach it an unpainted part of the case. If you use a mat it too should be connected to the case. Place all you components on the mat when removing them from the anti-static packaging. Connecting the strap or mat to anything else does not equalize the voltage potential between you and the components.

gareththegiant

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
attach the strap to something metal the is grounded like a table leg. However i must admit i never use any of that stuff before i build a PC. I usually just touch a metal chair leg in my office to remove any static i may have built up.

t53186

Distinguished
Static discharge causes both component failure and degradation. The main concern is to not discharge static from you to the parts of your pc. In order to prevent this you must be at the same voltage potential as the part you are about to touch.

If you use a strap it's best to attach it an unpainted part of the case. If you use a mat it too should be connected to the case. Place all you components on the mat when removing them from the anti-static packaging. Connecting the strap or mat to anything else does not equalize the voltage potential between you and the components.

Solution