Anti Static Wrist wrap

jashgohel01245

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017
So I'm about to build my PC, so I figured I research how to use the anti static wrist strap..
I went across different answers like,

''Connect the anti static wrist strap alligator to the power supply, plug in the power supply to the wall outlet and turn off the switch on the power supply''

Is this correct? and If it is correct should I have the wall outlet switch turned ON or OFF?

Some also say to connect the alligator clip to the case itself.. that's where I got confused

I'm very new to building PC's, any help is appreciated, thanks.

This is the anti static wrist strap I am using: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LUPO-Static-Wrist-Strap-Grounding/dp/B004CS5WIG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529688160&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=anti+static+wrist+strap&psc=1

inzane4all

Upstanding
Jun 20, 2018
Just connect it to the metal part of the case. I have NEVER connected an anti-static strap to a power supply, let alone one connected to power, regardless of how "safe" people claim it to be. Connect the clip to any metal part of case (without power supply being connected).

I haven't used one of those things for a LONG time, but I've been working with computers for 30 years, so I feel comfortable without them and have never had a component fry due to static discharge. Still risky though..... Good luck with your build.

jawlesspython04

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
Anti Static Wrist Straps are not needed. Just get your Power Supply, Connect it to the outlet but don't turn it on and just keep on touching it after some time to ground yourself.

If you want to use the strap, its basically the same thing. It just keeps you constantly grounded instead of doing it every so often. connect the clip to the power supply and plug it into the wall with the switch turned OFF.