anonnymous

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Hey guys sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm going to be building a new computer once my parts arrive. I have been watching some videos and reading on here and been looking at Anti static bracelets and mats. My question is do i need one to build my computer? If so where can i get them and is the bracelet or mat better?

Solution
I also use an anti-static wrist strap but no, it's not absolutely required to build a computer and you should be fine as long as you make sure to touch the case periodically to dissipate any charge that has built up.

I prefer the anti-static wrist strap to the mat because its easier to move around and store.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I generally go for a metal stool or the psu. I get the case ready with the stand off pins and power supply in. Then I put my motherboard on a stack of books and set up the cpu/hsf/ram. Set that in case and place the gcard. Finally, hook all the power up. I've only built three computers but so far nothing has shocked the system. My wife does make fun of me because I'm constantly stopping to touch the psu :(

An anti-static wrist strap is highly recommended in areas that have cold climates and low indoor relative humidity. Even otherwise, it is good practice to wear one around sensitive electronics.

I have a home-made device that consists of an 8-foot 14 Ga stranded insulated wire with alligator clips at both ends. One clip is fastened to the metal part of the case and the other end to the metal band of my wrist watch. The alligator clips are available at Radio Shack.

A little prevention goes a long way!

Rozbwen

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
I also use an anti-static wrist strap but no, it's not absolutely required to build a computer and you should be fine as long as you make sure to touch the case periodically to dissipate any charge that has built up.

I prefer the anti-static wrist strap to the mat because its easier to move around and store.

Solution