Antilaising and 8x

Rabbitrunner51

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
After putting my FX5900 card to 4x antilaising and 8x renderding i really didn't think it would make as much difference as it has. Wow! the colors and perfection of detail are amazing. I actually had the 8x off and no antilasing before and it still was an awesome picture.
Of course the speed has always been good with no hangups so far.

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Just think of 8X AntiAliasing and 16X (that's right..16) Anisotropic Filtering that those damn ATI cards can achieve and imagine how nice it looks.

----------
<b>It is always brave to say what everyone thinks. </b> <i>Georges Duhamel</i>

TKS

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Ati has 6x anti aliasing (actually better than nv 8x) and 16x Filtering

and it is playable in most new game :)

My own beast: Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb ddr400. SO MUCH faster than my last computer (pIII 550......)

Actually ATI has even higher levels of AA, but they are disabled by the drivers as they are not 'very' benificial or practical. It was mentioned in a 3Dchip review with ATI designers a month or so ago, when talking about Matrox's solution. I think they said that the Radeons could also acheive 16X AA (no not AF, Matrox has the 16X AA and that was the focus)right now but it's impractical and thus not an option. I'll see if I can find it.

The next gen cards are supposed to allow much higher levels of AA/AF. Be interesting to see the effects.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
That's awesome, even if its extremely slow I'd like to try it just to see what it's like. I think it could handle quake 3 1024x768 with 16xAA no aniso, whatchu think? If it's disabled by the drivers, that means it can be ENABLED by the drivers, I hope someone hacks up some drivers and gets it working.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

I still haven't found it (it was well over a month ago IIRC) I shoulda bookmarked it, but it was very small (like about 10-15 Q&As with an ATI Rep., but it was an interview that mentioned those two things that were of great interest to me as their are Matrox-centric.
They asked about ATI's view on surround gaming (a Matrox feature), and the issue of higher AA (compared to Matrox's 16X).

I would think that it would likely be a BIOS type hack that would be required in order to reveal this feature. But that's just a guess.

As for Q3 at 16X AA, yeah that wouldn't be bad, but I'd prefer a smoother running HALO, Q3's a little long in the tooth for me. Hopefully the Halo patch due on Monday will speed things up a bit (it's supposed to fix enough of the 'cheats' and exploitable orrors to make me now want to buy it (AFTER EXAMS though).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>