Question antivirus caused problems to operating system

NeoZie

Commendable
Apr 13, 2017
Hi

i am using windows 10 professional 64 bit.

it might sound stupid but i've been using a NOD32 Smart Security Antivirus that i downloaded from the internet since i got my pc (2-3 years ago) if relelvant.
It seemed to work fine since i got it but today something weird happened. the antivirus popped up some kind of update/installation bar while i was using the pc. i didn't want to update anything at that time because i was doing an assignment so i decided to cancel the process. after clicking the X button, the bar was not responding, some of my pc's taskbar icons were not there, my mouse cursor turned into busy cursor. i shocked and decided to click the restart button on my PC's case since windows was not working properly enough for safe shut down.

when it restarted, windows didn't show up normally, it showed a blue screen with the "Restore your pc" title and options. i was very nervous so i just shut down my pc and booted it 10 minutes later. this time, my windows showed up normally but the antivirus was still there and apparently it was causing problems to Windows 10. so i quickly removed my antivirus successfully, but kept my pc on because i just booted it, then my taskbar crashed multiple times and when i clicked the icons on my taskbar nothing happened, and when i opened up a minimized program, it crashed and my windows turned white saying the program does not respond. since nothing changed after that i shut down my pc unsafely (using the power button) and booted it up 10 minutes later.

in the third boot (right now) windows works correctly and fine, but i'm concerened about it and i wonder whether or not NOD32 has caused some issues with the operating system.
my question is - Whether or not should I reinstall windows, considering it seems to work fine right now and i need it to complete my assignment.

NeoZie

Commendable
Apr 13, 2017
Try running the System and Security troubleshooter. If it doesn't find any uncorrectable errors, I'd keep what you've got. However you should back up anything you don't want to lose in case of unexpected problems.
Thanks for your answer.

A few hours after i posted this thread my windows apparently had an update for me, so i restarted my pc and updated.
Is it possible that windows diagnosed my pc when it was on and found something wrong so it automatically made me update? or its just a coincidence, because that update didn't take long at all.

and about the backup you were talking about, I do not have an outer drive to backup my stuff on but i did make a restore point on my windows. should i do the troubleshoot without having my pc backed up yet? can it fail and cause other problems?

TRENDING THREADS