Question antivirus experience, ideal solution going forward?

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
So, today while checking my email my credit card company had sent me a notice stating that while they were scanning the dark web some of my personal information was found and that I should start changing my passwords with anything connected to my email basically. This was very concerning to me so I did that. A while later, I am just browsing and my browser locks up and my start bar also locks up, my mouse moves but couldn't click on anything and task manager would not come up.

I restart, and as I get to the login screen I put in my password and it says "one moment" and makes me wait long enough for me to know something is wrong.. Upon a restart I go into windows repair options and I can't run windows repair for some reason from my flash drive, so I go to cmd and try to pull up msconfig so I may start up in safe mode but it won't pull up msconfig. I then ran sfc /scannow and it comes back saying everything is ok.. So I log back into windows normally and it shows "one moment" again so I wait it out and after a few minutes it doees log back into windows and it is acting normally right now. Yesterday I ran an antivirus scan with nothing detected (using avira). So today I decided to use malwarebytes and it found one problem, pup.optional.proxygate which evidently is a trojan that can cause all of the above to happen basically?

I just found it annoying that avira didn't catch this yesterday, I am pretty sure it is up to date but I will have to double check.. Any other suggestions that I should be doing? or any thoughts in general on this would be nice, I am still concerned about my personal info being sold on the dark web..

I'm by no means an expert on malware, but I heard about varations that is pretty good to hide themself for any antivirus running.

If you're concerned you have an ongoing infection and the antivirus cannot deal with that, I suggest reinstall W10 - then install some antivirus before using it again.

Changing password is a good thing, but it won't help anything if something around is snapping any password being written on the computer.

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
sure it was actually your credit card company?look closely at their actual email address in the message.sounds phony to me.

yea I have capital one evidently they use something called creditwise, its supposed to be legit from what I have read..

My next step would for sure be to reinstall windows, it was a registry key that is now removed so hoping thats good..

So, today while checking my email my credit card company had sent me a notice stating that while they were scanning the dark web some of my personal information was found and that I should start changing my passwords with anything connected to my email basically. This was very concerning to me so I did that. A while later, I am just browsing and my browser locks up and my start bar also locks up, my mouse moves but couldn't click on anything and task manager would not come up.

I restart, and as I get to the login screen I put in my password and it says "one moment" and makes me wait long enough for me to know something is wrong.. Upon a restart I go into windows repair options and I can't run windows repair for some reason from my flash drive, so I go to cmd and try to pull up msconfig so I may start up in safe mode but it won't pull up msconfig. I then ran sfc /scannow and it comes back saying everything is ok.. So I log back into windows normally and it shows "one moment" again so I wait it out and after a few minutes it doees log back into windows and it is acting normally right now. Yesterday I ran an antivirus scan with nothing detected (using avira). So today I decided to use malwarebytes and it found one problem, pup.optional.proxygate which evidently is a trojan that can cause all of the above to happen basically?

I just found it annoying that avira didn't catch this yesterday, I am pretty sure it is up to date but I will have to double check.. Any other suggestions that I should be doing? or any thoughts in general on this would be nice, I am still concerned about my personal info being sold on the dark web..

The two best are BitDefender and KasperSky.

Future tip: Microsoft themselves said running in non-privileged (Non-admin) accounts when surfing the web is the best way to protect yourself. The vast majority exploits do not work when you are in a non-admin account. This + Antivirus is your best defense.

Reactions: Grobe
Did you use 'convenient' links provided in the email to go and change these passwords? If so, regrettably, there is a 99% chance you've been 'had'...

Use an uninfected computer to go change everything immediately....; prioritize on all banking/cards, do NOT use the current computer to do any of these changes...

Credit card companies do not go searching any web for your precious 'data', nor will they inform you of anything...

After you've changed everything, then your current computer requires a 'nuke and pave' to be sure it is safe to use again....i.e., wipe (delete partitions is sufficient, nothing to be gained by any goofy 3, 8, or 32 pass NSA-spec wipes, etc...!) and reload...