AntiVirus for Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

expellite

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Hi everybody! I've installed Windows 8. I used to use Avast Free Antivirus so I installed that on windows 8 too. But after shutting down, when I turned on my computer I didn't sign me in and gave an error! I installed windows 8 again. Now I'm using it. I haven't installed that Antivirus yet and Windows works fine. I think Windows has some problems with Avast 7.0.1466!
So what can I do? any suggestion? which Antivirus should I install on windows 8?
By the way I use Free ones so don't tell me about buying one!

Solution
Avast 7.0 is not supported under Windows 8. You'll have to wait for an update if you want to use it. In the meantime, Windows Defender works pretty well. I used it before GFI released an update for VIPRE Antivirus to support Windows 8. If I didn't have a lifetime subscription for VIPRE, Windows Defender would be my next choice.

Microsoft has actually done a pretty good job with Defender, especially since they have bundled it with Windows 8 so it's there out of the box. Works well, and stays out of the way, but gives the user control when they want it.
Avast 7.0 is not supported under Windows 8. You'll have to wait for an update if you want to use it. In the meantime, Windows Defender works pretty well. I used it before GFI released an update for VIPRE Antivirus to support Windows 8. If I didn't have a lifetime subscription for VIPRE, Windows Defender would be my next choice.

Microsoft has actually done a pretty good job with Defender, especially since they have bundled it with Windows 8 so it's there out of the box. Works well, and stays out of the way, but gives the user control when they want it.

Solution

TechJallen

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
The new Windows Defender is an upgraded Antivirus from MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and MFEP (Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection) which are both already great software. I believe that offered MSE free so they could build a Virus Database quickly and it worked.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Avast 7 from their site:

Operating Systems Supported

http://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download#tab4

To run avast! Free Antivirus, your PC must meet the following criteria:

Windows 8 (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows 7 (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows Vista (any Edition excl. Starter Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (incompatible with avast! Account)

Alfheim

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
None, I've had problems with AVG, Mcaffee, Bullguard, Kaspersky, Norton, and also Avast all ranging from apps not functioning, crashing to update's hanging and even BSOD's with Avast.

Kookie69

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Who ever said that Windows 8 Defender is any good try again it's useless have had a good number of nasties get past it and didn't even know they where there until it started to play up then I installed AVG Security Suite and found all those nasties that Defender didn't even see.

If you're smart enough not to pick up malware (lets not kid ourselves here... 99% of infections are the users own fault whether they realize it or not), you wouldn't need to attack Windows Defender, or any other AV product out there. The only reason I'm even using one is because I paid for a long subscription to one product that hasn't run out yet.

Edit: Also, please don't necro-post. The thread has already been marked by the OP, and the last post was over a month ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.