Question Antivirus I can run with Powershell

May 5, 2022
Hi there. Is there a free antivirus that I can run scans with through powershell? I was playing around with Malwarebytes but you can only run mbam.exe with parameters if you pay for it.

I have good computer knowledge but I don't know anything about powershell. Just something I have never used

USAFRet

Titan
Hi there. Is there a free antivirus that I can run scans with through powershell? I was playing around with Malwarebytes but you can only run mbam.exe with parameters if you pay for it.

I have good computer knowledge but I don't know anything about powershell. Just something I have never used
The only 3 "antivirus/malware" tools I use, in order of importance, increasing.
  1. MalwareBytes, free
  2. The built in Windows Defender
  3. The squishy stuff between my ears.

Not sure what you're trying to do with Powershell. But an AV tool will only expose those functions it was built for.

Reactions: PsycoStea
D

Deleted member 14196

It works with defender. I have premium and msmpeng.exe still runs. Why isn’t the automatic operation good enough

May 5, 2022
What is this environment for this remote?
Work, home, other?
How many systems?
Frequency of running MWB?
This is just for testing but I want to scale it up for a business. I have a small IT business on the side and I'm using Action1 to monitor the endpoints. I want to run MWB about twice a week.

I'm trying to do this for as cheap as possible

May 5, 2022
I know WD can be used through Powershell but I want to use another antivirus / antimalware just to make sure. I don't want to sell a client an antivirus service if I'm just using WD, feels cheap

Ralston18

Titan
You can use Powershell to launch any executable file with the provision that the necessary rights are in place.

Start-Process

Either as a command line or as a script.

Via Startup (Task Manager) or a shortcut icon on the desktop.

Even Task Scheduler.

For remote systems Invoke-Command can be used.

To automate the process to be something like "twice a week" requires a bit more logic. E.g., Tuesday and Friday perhaps.

And that means that the script must be launched whenever the host system is booted up and running in the background.

I think that Task Scheduler would be the most straight forward approach - date triggers are limited to day, week, month... And you may be able to establish more control via the Create Task > Settings tab.

Without really knowing the customer's environment and requirements I suggest using daily. The desired day(s) could easily be missed and if scan is quick enough then a daily run or scan should not be too inhibiting or intrusive.

Indeed - details/requirements matter.

I'm sure I'll get hate but - Regarding Malwarebytes Free - Your license permits you to use the Software solely for your personal, non-commercial purposes; the Software may not be used on any Device that is used in a business or for business purposes.

Paying for software is part of the cost of doing business.