Antivirus, internet security, backup software - Vista 64 bit

robjackson

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Hi everyone,

I will be building my new system in the next month or so and have decided to go with vista 64 home premium as my OS. I last bought a system about 5 years ago so everything is being replaced and as such i will have no driver issues (provided i do my research properly).

My question is as follows, is there a software package that will provide anitvirus, interney security and HDD imaging/cloning software that will work with Vista 64, preferably for free? Reading the forums it has been suggested in other posts that running the 32 bit version of Norton Internet Security may not be enough - have i got the wrong end of the stick here?

I currently run Norton Internet Security 08 on my XP machine, but it does hog a lot of resources (not to mention that i have to renew my subscription every year).

Thank in advance for any help offered by all you kind and knowledgable folk.

Rob

Symantec's latest trick: "...has experienced an unrecoverable error. Please uninstall and reinstall" So you go to the site to re-download the shyte and find that last year's version, which you still have months and months of subscription time left on, is no longer available. *AND* they want you to pay for the new version before they let you have it. The obligatory phone call asking WTF nets you a corporate~polite version of "Too Bad, So Sad".

So screw Symantec. HARD. With a big FAT sandpaper-coated rubber phallas... Smeared in Rubbing Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Habanero oil... With Vigor!! <Yes, I'm mad at them. So what??>

For security - Hit up http://www.eset.com Best Rated. Fast. And doesn't consume a lot of resource. 30 day trial downloads available.

robjackson

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
That looks pretty good on the antivirus front, got any suggestions about cloning/imaging software - i was looking ot Acronis but was hoping there would be something slightly free'er!!!

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I don't know if it works on vista 64 or not, correct that, I looked on the website and they say it does support vista 64 bit. I use it on my Vista 32 bit system, it's called AVG antivirus. They've got a free version at the link.

http://free.grisoft.com/

Decent software, works great. Legit, free updates, and if you decide you want to buy antivirus they do sell a pro version I believe. Also, I don't know about cloning and imaging software. But for defragmenting your drive, try this out...

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/index.php

Also free, works WAY faster than the windows utility. Defrags my 300 gb drive in about 5-10 minutes, and I can be multitasking in the background as well.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
I also use Live OneCare with my Vista64 and work great. It's does not eat your OS resources as much as Symantec.

For cloning, Live OneCare has only a backup procedure and does not provide a true HDD image/cloning feature.

If you live in Canada, Staples.ca has it in special at 40$ instead of 60$. I got one for myself for my renewal due in april.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Badge I saw this on yahoo. in relation to the sleep problem we talked about

Michael Cherry, of the research group Directions on Microsoft, said that after installing SP1, the time it took to copy files over a network "returned to normal" — meaning, the operation felt as speedy as it did using Windows XP, Vista's predecessor.

But he said one thing SP1 didn't fix was his ability to wake his PC from sleep mode, which he described as "a hit or miss affair."

Still appears to be a problem

flysocal500

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I've used ESET on an XP x32 system and now on a Vista x64 system! Works great all the time...everytime.
I too really really really really hate symentic. I had a virus that was slowly eating my hard drive. They recognized it and offered to remove it for a price!
What!

What!

Really! Why have I been paying them for 10 years!! I'm completely out of ANY association with symentec. I will never, NEVER again buy, try or smile at one of their products!

Go with eset. Uses very little resources.

submoney

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I once had kaspersky IS 7.0. I had 32bit vista installed initially then when I installed the 64bit I somehow lost the cd key in the clutter of all my computer part boxes. I tried again and again to get ahold of customer service to get my key working. I had a copy of my receipt and everything, but I got nothing. Spent all that money for 3 days. The 3 days I did have it, it was awesome! Caught so much stuff that my new norton never gets. I'm considering dropping the cash and getting another newer edition. =/