Antivirus program

Status
Not open for further replies.

natasha90

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
McAfee
PC Tools - freeware
Do not use Avast (AVG). It didn't protect me against some viruses. Tried to recover the drive but the virus caused an error. Now it has no OS. Borrowing in-law's PC.I actually like Norton,

cnet now gives you a download helper and it installs adware, try and see for your self.

it really sucks because that was always a safe place to download. i would reccomend a site like majorgeeks.com for downloads now.
it would be cool if toms had a download section for some of the more common stuff like free av's flash and such

so it doesn't give you a option to not install that i believe you just asking because i usually download from there but not anymore if that's the case i have not visited Cnet for four or five months and i don't think i will again if they are doing bs like you mention

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Is that really true? This might be why I have adware now I can't get rid of. Do you know the name(s) it goes by?

well detection names depend on the av you are using symantec could call it adware.pup.downloader and avast adware.pup.gen2. but the name i have seen is
PUP.CNET.Adware.Bundle.

this is were you should find it

C:\Users\***\Downloads\cnet2_Free-OcrNetSteup_exe.exe (PUP.CNET.Adware.Bundle) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.C:\Users\***\Downloads\cnet2_freeocr_exe(1).exe (PUP.CNET.Adware.Bundle) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.C:\Users\***\Downloads\cnet2_freeocr_exe.exe (PUP.CNET.Adware.Bundle) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.C:\Users\***\Downloads\cnet_freeocr_exe.exe (PUP.CNET.Adware.Bundle) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.C:\Users\***\Downloads\cnet_jarte_44_setup_exe.exe (PUP.CNET.Adware.Bundle) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

malware bytes and hijack this are good for removing these

http://www.hijackthis.com/

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

Status
Not open for further replies.