antivirus programs

Luciano

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
18
0
18,510
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I would like to know if the AVG antivirus program is just as good as Norton's
program? It was on a talk radio station where I heard this. Being that AVG is
free, I would like to save some money if AVG is equally good. Luciano
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I agree with John. I'd been using Norton for years and switched to AVG Free
about 6 months ago. I actually think that it's easier to use than Norton was.

Also, several of my friends have recently switched from AVG to Avast - I'm
considering the switch also.

"Luciano" wrote:

> I would like to know if the AVG antivirus program is just as good as Norton's
> program? It was on a talk radio station where I heard this. Being that AVG is
> free, I would like to save some money if AVG is equally good. Luciano
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have been using AVG Free for quite some time and like it alot.

I wouldn't use Norton if Norton paid me to use it.

AVG also has a pay for version, AVG Professional.

Get Your AVG 7 for free!
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

You can get a trial version of AVG Professional Single Edition and use it
free-of-charge for 30 days.
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/11/lng/us/tpl/v5

AVG Anti Virus: HOME
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:79FEF2D7-23D4-4840-97CE-952D056F8E67@microsoft.com,
Luciano <luciano@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I would like to know if the AVG antivirus program is just as good as
> Norton's program? It was on a talk radio station where I heard this.
> Being that AVG is free, I would like to save some money if AVG is equally
> good. Luciano
 

Billh

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2003
60
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Well, you only need to get one virus that isn't detected by the program you
are running for you to think it isn't as good.
I have used free AVG for a couple of years and like it. I used to run McAfee
but found its always requiring reboot after updating plus the increased cost
of the yearly subscription caused me to change my mind about using it. I
found on this NG that a lot of people liked AVG.
billh

"Luciano" <luciano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:79FEF2D7-23D4-4840-97CE-952D056F8E67@microsoft.com...
>I would like to know if the AVG antivirus program is just as good as
>Norton's
> program? It was on a talk radio station where I heard this. Being that AVG
> is
> free, I would like to save some money if AVG is equally good. Luciano
 

Luciano

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
18
0
18,510
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

To " bilh", John Barnett, usama, Wesley Vogel, thanks for your reply and
advice. I'm going to use AVG.
--
Luciano


"billh" wrote:

> Well, you only need to get one virus that isn't detected by the program you
> are running for you to think it isn't as good.
> I have used free AVG for a couple of years and like it. I used to run McAfee
> but found its always requiring reboot after updating plus the increased cost
> of the yearly subscription caused me to change my mind about using it. I
> found on this NG that a lot of people liked AVG.
> billh
>
> "Luciano" <luciano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:79FEF2D7-23D4-4840-97CE-952D056F8E67@microsoft.com...
> >I would like to know if the AVG antivirus program is just as good as
> >Norton's
> > program? It was on a talk radio station where I heard this. Being that AVG
> > is
> > free, I would like to save some money if AVG is equally good. Luciano
>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I've used AVG for years and wouldn't touch Nortons. It is really is like the
old saying goes 'you get what you pay for' Paid for versions have more
'bells and whistles' in other words they have added features, whereas the
free ones don't. But because you don't have all the 'paid for' features
doesn't mean to say that the free versions are less effective. Given the
choice i would go for AVG every time.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org


"Luciano" <luciano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:79FEF2D7-23D4-4840-97CE-952D056F8E67@microsoft.com...
>I would like to know if the AVG antivirus program is just as good as
>Norton's
> program? It was on a talk radio station where I heard this. Being that AVG
> is
> free, I would like to save some money if AVG is equally good. Luciano
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Luciano wrote:
> I would like to know if the AVG antivirus program is just as good as
> Norton's program? It was on a talk radio station where I heard this.
> Being that AVG is free, I would like to save some money if AVG is
> equally good. Luciano

Here is a list of AV software I have tried/use and would recommend to
anyone.

( Good Comparison Page for AV software: http://www.av-comparatives.org/ )

AntiVir (Free and up)
http://www.free-av.com/

avast! (Free and up)
http://www.avast.com/

AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
http://free.grisoft.com/

eset NOD32 (~$39.00 and up)
http://www.eset.com/products/products.htm

eTrust EZ Antivirus (~$29.95 and up)
http://ca.com/store/home/us/hp2/

Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
http://www.mcafee.com/

Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/
(Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
(Free Online Scanner:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
 

Luciano

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
18
0
18,510
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

youThank You Shenan Stanley for the links you provided
--
Luciano


"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Luciano wrote:
> > I would like to know if the AVG antivirus program is just as good as
> > Norton's program? It was on a talk radio station where I heard this.
> > Being that AVG is free, I would like to save some money if AVG is
> > equally good. Luciano
>
> Here is a list of AV software I have tried/use and would recommend to
> anyone.
>
> ( Good Comparison Page for AV software: http://www.av-comparatives.org/ )
>
> AntiVir (Free and up)
> http://www.free-av.com/
>
> avast! (Free and up)
> http://www.avast.com/
>
> AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
> http://free.grisoft.com/
>
> eset NOD32 (~$39.00 and up)
> http://www.eset.com/products/products.htm
>
> eTrust EZ Antivirus (~$29.95 and up)
> http://ca.com/store/home/us/hp2/
>
> Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
> http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html
>
> McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
> http://www.mcafee.com/
>
> Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/
> (Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)
>
> RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
> http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
>
> Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
> http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/
>
> Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
> http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
> (Free Online Scanner:
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Luciano" wrote:

> I would like to know if the AVG antivirus program is just as good as Norton's
> program? It was on a talk radio station where I heard this. Being that AVG is
> free, I would like to save some money if AVG is equally good. Luciano

I have used AVG 7.0 free and other previous versions without any intrusion
or virus. I think it is great. New virus dat file is automatically
downloaded each day when I log in.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

xrcaf Wrote:
> "Luciano" wrote:
> I have used AVG 7.0 free and other previous versions without any
> intrusion
> or virus. I think it is great. New virus dat file is automatically
> downloaded each day when I log in.

Hi!
No connection to AVG, but after having used the free version for a
couple of years I actually paid for the pro version, just as a matter
of saying "thank's".
The free one is just as good.
Avast is also very good, my son is using it.
What I like most about these programmes is that they are not intrusive
like Norton, for example. Try uninstall any of Nortons offerings, and
you will find you are on your way to the registry, or need special
Norton tools.
May your hard disk grow according to your needs!


--
lomaca
 

Similar threads


TRENDING THREADS