[SOLVED] Antivirus suggestions for Windows 7 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, my backup pc (on sig) uses Eset Nod 32 as it's antivirus.. however, the Nod 32 version that it has is already at end of life.
cannot upgrade to newer version of Nod 32, because newer version requires Windows 10. And I don't plan to upgrade backup pc to W10, because the backup pc is in charge of playing old games that won't work on W10. That's the reason it's still on Windows 7.

are there good alternatives to Nod 32? I'm thinking the free version of Avira might be a good replacement for it? Or someone has other suggestion?

Solution
I've used BitDefender, Kaspersky and AVG. Norton and McAfee are jokes as well as the Microsoft's Defender(back in the day), Now it's a good alternative to the paid ones. Also, to note, if you have a healthy browsing habit and don't download malware laced or questionable apps then you don't need an antivirus. You could also get away with Malwarebytes.

Lutfij

Titan
I've used BitDefender, Kaspersky and AVG. Norton and McAfee are jokes as well as the Microsoft's Defender(back in the day), Now it's a good alternative to the paid ones. Also, to note, if you have a healthy browsing habit and don't download malware laced or questionable apps then you don't need an antivirus. You could also get away with Malwarebytes.

Reactions: Tac 25
Solution

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@Bob.B @Dark Lord of Tech

thanks for the additional suggestions. Will check them out as well.

___

@Lutfij

browsing habits is healthy, most of the places I visit are just forums like these and discord. But sometimes, I accidentally click ads on image host sites.

also sometimes use the backup pc to buy things from aliexpress, cdjapan, and starcitygames using paypal, so a good antivirus gives some peace of mind

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
I still use Avast but also waiting for a solid alternative that doesn't install 3rd party unnecessary bloatware, but Avast Free is still good.

On a side note:
There's a new anti-malware called MalwareFox, from user reviews its quite good and somewhat comparable to Malware bytes

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GUqp1tNmEU

It actually detects more than Malware bytes in this test

Last edited:
Reactions: Dean0919 and Tac 25
I have been looking for same.
Defender loads fine on a 32 bit win 7.
The problem is that windows 7 update will not function without an antivirus installed.
And defender will not install without a initial virus definition update.

Catch 22.

Some of the programs I looked at will run on windows 7, but not on the 32 bit version needed for older games.
Not having sp1 installed may be an issue also.
For the most part, I leave the ethernet cable unplugged on this pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS