Susan

my antivirus live update has expired (Norton 2004)i,ve had no problems so far
and would like to continue using it, do i have to buy 2005 or can i update
2004? Also is my pc still covered as it does a virus scan once a week?
--
lachygirl

susan wrote:
> my antivirus live update has expired (Norton 2004)i,ve had no
> problems so far and would like to continue using it, do i have to buy
> 2005 or can i update 2004? Also is my pc still covered as it does a
> virus scan once a week?

You can either re-subscribe or purchase the new version and re-subscribe at
the same time or you can write a script or download manually the updates
once a week (Wednesdays at 5PM is a good time.)

I recommend considering an alternative to Norton on a home machine. For
most it is a bit of a resource hog Try something like Avast!

Bonus.. Most of these alternatives are FREE!

Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/
(Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
http://www.grisoft.com/

McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
http://www.mcafee.com/

AntiVir (Free and up)
http://www.free-av.com/

avast! (Free and up)

Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
(Free Online Scanner:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp)

RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

--
<- Shenan ->

You can purchase Norton Antivirus 2005 at a discount
since you have the 2004 version. Since your Norton
subscription has expired, you'll no longer receive new
virus definitions that will protect your PC from future
threats. It would be prudent to upgrade to 2005 now.

Symantec Upgrade Center
http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=UpgradeCenter072104&client=Symantec&sid=27674

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"susan" wrote:

| my antivirus live update has expired (Norton 2004)i,ve had no problems so far
| and would like to continue using it, do i have to buy 2005 or can i update
| 2004? Also is my pc still covered as it does a virus scan once a week?
| --
| lachygirl

Hi

Have you had a look on the Symantec web site? If v2004 has expired, I would
presume that you will have to pay to upgrade to v2005. Could you please
explain your last sentence - covered for what?

http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"susan" <susan.lach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my antivirus live update has expired (Norton 2004)i,ve had no problems so
> far
> and would like to continue using it, do i have to buy 2005 or can i update
> 2004? Also is my pc still covered as it does a virus scan once a week?
> --
> lachygirl

Susan

I can still do a virus scan manually and automatically but it,s just occurred
to me that it probably hasn,t has been working work if the subscription has
expired
thanks

susan wrote:
> I can still do a virus scan manually and automatically but it,s just
> occurred to me that it probably hasn,t has been working work if the
> subscription has expired
> thanks

AV is only as good as its last update....so yes, either upgrade to 2005, or
ditch it and get something else if you prefer. AVG has a freebie I like
quite a bit.

> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Have you had a look on the Symantec web site? If v2004 has expired,
>> I would presume that you will have to pay to upgrade to v2005.
>> Could you please explain your last sentence - covered for what?
>>
>> http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/
>>
>> --
>>

>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "susan" <susan.lach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> my antivirus live update has expired (Norton 2004)i,ve had no
>>> problems so far
>>> and would like to continue using it, do i have to buy 2005 or can i
>>> update 2004? Also is my pc still covered as it does a virus scan
>>> once a week? --
>>> lachygirl

map

"susan" wrote:

> my antivirus live update has expired (Norton 2004)i,ve had no problems so far
> and would like to continue using it, do i have to buy 2005 or can i update
> 2004? Also is my pc still covered as it does a virus scan once a week?
> --
> lachygirl

If you are going to purchase Norton 2005 at least try this one for 30 days
free,you will find that it is not only faster but is extremly light on system
resources as well.
http://www.nod32.com/download/trial.htm