[SOLVED] Ants In My Drive

screentan

Prominent
Jun 4, 2018
I just opened the box containing the new Crucial 2TB SSD drive that I received from Umart to find it full of hundreds of tiny ants inside the box. I don't know why there would be ants in the box? Although the box was sealed on one side the actual drive did not have any protective bag or anything and was just loose inside the box. Is this normal?

I am concerned the ants might have been eating something in the drive. I can't think of any other reason they would be in there. It is a brand new drive and the box still had the seal on when I received it so it had not been opened. Has anybody else ever encountered this before?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jqtHNEsJDfkfdHeY6

Last edited:
Solution
That is a serious contamination.

I've had experience with a friends computer few years back, asked me if i could check on what's wrong with his pc randomly acting up. Insects were the problem. It's not a usual sight but yes, they are known to spoil and eventually break down electrical equipment. You don't know if they laid eggs in / on the ssd itself. They can't be seen.

Definitely open a dispute for replacement immediately.

Have a great and insect-free day!

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
That is a serious contamination.

I've had experience with a friends computer few years back, asked me if i could check on what's wrong with his pc randomly acting up. Insects were the problem. It's not a usual sight but yes, they are known to spoil and eventually break down electrical equipment. You don't know if they laid eggs in / on the ssd itself. They can't be seen.

Definitely open a dispute for replacement immediately.

Have a great and insect-free day!

Solution

Latest posts