[SOLVED] ANTS IN PSU, PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ak32

Commendable
Apr 28, 2021
I was playing on my pc then i found 2 ants inside my psu, i immediatly disconnected it from power, then i took the pc apart, the 2 ants lef the psu, im concerned if theres more ants or dead of them inside, in the same time im scared to open the psu and check it, will using compressed air make sure there are no ants? Also can i use vaccum instead ?

Solution
I was playing on my pc then i found 2 ants inside my psu, i immediatly disconnected it from power, then i took the pc apart, the 2 ants lef the psu, im concerned if theres more ants or dead of them inside, in the same time im scared to open the psu and check it, will using compressed air make sure there are no ants? Also can i use vaccum instead ?

I wouldn't use vacuum cleaner on PSU if I was you; they tends to produce static electricity which CAN short circuit the PC.

Try this after not using PC for awhile:

You could try using the compressed air but make sure to keep the Can levelled at all time. Else the liquids will get into the PSU instead of the intended airs. After that you might want to leave it to dry for...
Don't know if the vacuum would be very effective depending on where the ants are if they are still in the PSU.

While I wouldn't recommend you open your psu if you are uncomfortable with that, if you let it unplugged for awhile before working on it and use insulating gloves, it's unlikely you will get a jolt.

Ak32

Commendable
Apr 28, 2021
Don't know if the vacuum would be very effective depending on where the ants are if they are still in the PSU.

While I wouldn't recommend you open your psu if you are uncomfortable with that, if you let it unplugged for awhile before working on it and use insulating gloves, it's unlikely you will get a jolt.
The powersupply been disconnected for 2 hours, and no ant has been shown, do you think its okay to use it ?

I'd use it.
I don't think ants are going to cause you any problems.

But i heard ants can short the psu out, also i dont want a nest in there.
I have had...and still have...lots of PCs and other electrical equipment in an environment with lots of ants and other bugs for decades and they don't cause me problems.

An ant is much more likely to damage itself than damage your PSU.

....as far as building a nest...I don't think they would do that.

If it concerns you...put an ant trap next to the PC.

But i heard ants can short the psu out, also i dont want a nest in there.
Unless there's a food source inside your PSU, it's VERY unlikely that ants would choose to make a nest inside it. I'd have to imagine that the heat, fan airflow, etc would be considered preferable living conditions to any ant.

How did you find 2 ants inside your PSU if you haven't disassembled the PSU? Did you mean to say there were 2 ants inside your case?

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019

I wouldn't use vacuum cleaner on PSU if I was you; they tends to produce static electricity which CAN short circuit the PC.

Try this after not using PC for awhile:

You could try using the compressed air but make sure to keep the Can levelled at all time. Else the liquids will get into the PSU instead of the intended airs. After that you might want to leave it to dry for around 3 hours in case any liquids got in.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZhc4Kuvao

Solution
eb509836-4775-403f-93b1-1925b38007af_3.b4aa4447c4ac0b84d3fc0f778d874658.png

Reactions: Flayed

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
Unless there's a food source inside your PSU, it's VERY unlikely that ants would choose to make a nest inside it. I'd have to imagine that the heat, fan airflow, etc would be considered preferable living conditions to any ant.

How did you find 2 ants inside your PSU if you haven't disassembled the PSU? Did you mean to say there were 2 ants inside your case?
Well I NEVER eat near my pc, so its impossible to find food near it, I just looked at my wall, found some ants, the 2 ants were not inside, just walking on psu cover, which really freaked me out.

Don't worry about 2 ants. Start worrying if you see 1 million ants one behind each other going in the case.

I actually never seen one system that fried because of an insect in 25+ years and over a thousand systems built.

I heard that a lot of ants could cause an issue. Ants that gets together and could bridge something but 2 ants I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.