Question Any 32GB ram kits that work on Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard?

Jan 22, 2023
Hi guys,

I recently bought some used ram to upgrade my (very old) computer but I can't get it to post with the new ram. Old ram still posts fine.

New ram is the Corsair Vengeance 32gb (4x8gb) 1600mhz 10-10-10-27 1.5v (black with the heat sync fins). Manufacture reference number is CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10. Found some more specs here: https://www.compuram.biz/memory_module/corsair/cmz32gx3m4x1600c10.htm?st=tab_tecdat

Computer set up is currently:
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX - recently updated to latest bios v2501
CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: 1660ti
Old ram: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (4x4gb) 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5v (blue with the heat sync fins)

The mobo manual states the board can take up to 8gb dimms and 32gb total, non-ECC, un-buffered, dual channel memory. From what I can tell, the Corsair Vengeance 32gb kit fits all these criteria.

This exact 32gb kit isn't on the QVL. However, neither is the 16gb kit (which is actually 2x8gb kits) I current have which works fine.

I also put in some old Mushkin Silverline 4gb (2x2gb) 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5v, and they work fine too.

The motherboard has a MemOK! button to test the memory. I've tested on each stick individually in the A2 slot, and also all four in together. Alas to no avail.

Current thoughts are:
  1. Might it be the different CL speeds? Old ram is CL9, new ram is CL10.
  2. Might the mobo actually not be able to go up to 32gb? Does anyone know of another 32gb kit that is compatible with this mobo?
  3. Might the used ram be dead?

For 2 & 3, I'm not to sure how to test for this as I don't have another machine.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
lga 1155 should be able to handle 8GB ram sticks. So that cpu is fine.
the only question now is can that board handle a total of 32GB?

did not have problems upping the ram of my lga 1155 to four 8GB Kingston sticks, for a total 32GB ddr3. It's the backup pc on my sig.
But I have a different board from what you have.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

Your link shows a single 8gb stick.
If all the ram is not from the same kit, you may have issues.

To attempt a fix, install just one stick and in the bios, increase the voltage from the default 1.5v.
Then install the other sticks.
You can go perhaps as high as 1.6 or 1.65v.

Jan 22, 2023
Thanks geofelt,

Re your point on ensuring they're all from the same set - I think we're good here as the sticker on all four sticks is identical and has the manufacturer number CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 and references it is a 32gb (4x8gb) set. So I can only assume they are from the same kit.

Re your suggested bios settings - Unfortunately it won't even get as far as the bios. I've tried installing just one stick and seeing if it'll post. No luck for either of the four sticks. I'm just getting a solid red light on the DRAM LED.

General query when it comes to ram sets, is it possible for motherboards be compatible with Company A's 32gb set, but not with Company B's 32gb set? Even if speeds etc are the same...
If so, might this be what I'm encountering. Where my Acer mobo just doesn't like the Corsair Vengeance 32gb CL10 kit. Wondering whether another manufacturer's 32gb kit might work.

Thanks guys for your help.

Reading on these forums, I see more ram compatibility issues with ryzen than Intel. That includes some ram not working with apparently identical specs.
Not so much for Intel.

First, reset the bios to default.
Use the clear cmos button on your motherboard, or pull the cmos battery for 5 minutes with the psu unplugged to reset all to default.

Before giving up, contact the ram guys support at Corsair with your details. In the past, they have been most helpful.
It is always possible to have faulty ram. Corsair will have a lifetime warranty.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@05daya

not sure if this info will help. When I was upgrading the ram of my lga 1155 to 32 GB.. the salesgirl at the pc store put in one 8GB stick at a time, to test if it would work. She add more ram until all 32 GB is in the mobo. We did not encounter any issues that day. And the pc has been working for more than 3 years now.

there's certainly something wrong if you won't even get as far as the bios putting in just one stick of ram.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS