[SOLVED] Any A320 Owners Out There ?

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
How do you find the mobo ?
On my Gigabyte A320 M-H I have installed an RX580 , Ryzen 5 3600 and 2x8GB DDR4 HyperX Fury Ram

Running BIOS version F41

Last edited:
Solution
It was, it's called balanced mode in your windows power settings. R5 3600 or any other R5-R7 can theoretically OC on B350-450 and X470-570 boards with XFR-PBO-AMD CBS, but the voltages when doing so are insane 1.45v with spikes of 1.5+v for a tiny ghz gain vs. auto settings and using balanced mode where voltages remain 0.91-1.45v (which you are doing) and the CPU will properly boost when needed. You'll get a better boost with better CPU cooling. In general A320 boards boost nearly as well as B or X variants, and also in a sense it is auto "overclocking" which with Ryzen is all you need.
How do you find the mobo ?
On my Gigabyte A320 M-H I have installed an RX580 , Ryzen 5 3600 and 2x8GB DDR4 HyperX Fury Ram

Running BIOS version F41

What about the mobo are you interested in knowing?

Being an A320 it can't overclock the CPU, but you should be able to optimize memory to improve system performance. The sweet spot for Ryzen 3000 is a RAM speed of 3600 but overclocking it there depends a lot on which HyperX ram you got and how much of the RAM timings options Gigabyte has exposed in the BIOS.

But by all means, first thing to do is set XMP2 and get the full rated speed of the RAM at least.

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
What about the mobo are you interested in knowing?

Being an A320 it can't overclock the CPU, but you should be able to optimize memory to improve system performance. The sweet spot for Ryzen 3000 is a RAM speed of 3600 but overclocking it there depends a lot on which HyperX ram you got and how much of the RAM timings options Gigabyte has exposed in the BIOS.

But by all means, first thing to do is set XMP2 and get the full rated speed of the RAM at least.

2400MHz DDR4 CL15 DIMM

I can overclock in the BIOS you can increase the MHZ of the ram and the GHZ of the processor, I did it before but it was unstable on windows, however on linux it was fine ( i changed the MHZ of the RAM to 3000mhz but it made no difference )

Just did the RAM from 2400mhz to 2666mhz and running fine

Last edited:
2400MHz DDR4 CL15 DIMM

I can overclock in the BIOS you can increase the MHZ of the ram and the GHZ of the processor, I did it before but it was unstable on windows, however on linux it was fine ( i changed the MHZ of the RAM to 3000mhz but it made no difference )

Just did the RAM from 2400mhz to 2666mhz and running fine
You may be increasing the clock speed of the processor, but I suspect it's not really doing anything. A320 chipsets just don't allow overclocking, but oddly some mfr's seem to have left the settings exposed for changing it in BIOS. It just does nothing.

Simply bumping up memory clock speeds will doubtless leave it unstable. You have to change both DRAM voltage and timings, main timings at least and often sub-timings. Most motherboards expose the main timings for you to change but sub-timings are often not.

"2x8GB DDR4 HyperX Fury Ram"

No mention of part number, link to it, or memory clock speed.

It is possible to raise CL- CAS latency to a higher number to compensate for out-of-spec memory clock speeds.

What the specifications of the memory you use are, I wouldn't know because you have only vaguely identified it.

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
"2x8GB DDR4 HyperX Fury Ram"

No mention of part number, link to it, or memory clock speed.

It is possible to raise CL- CAS latency to a higher number to compensate for out-of-spec memory clock speeds.

What the specifications of the memory you use are, I wouldn't know because you have only vaguely identified it.

I posted it later in the thread, it's this...
2400MHz DDR4 CL15 DIMM

https://www.ebuyer.com/743585-hyper...ddr4-memory-hx424c15fb2k2-16-hx424c15fb2k2-16

The third-generation Ryzen chips arrive with native support for the DDR4-3200 standard out of the box. You can still run faster memory if your processor's Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) and motherboard are up to the task. 3600MHz is a popular choice.

Buying 2400MHz memory to run at a higher speed of 3000MHz is usually accomplished by loosening (higher number) DRAM timings. That defeats the purpose of buying low latency RAM.

HyperX HX424C15FB2K2/16 specifications - DDR4-2400 CL15-15-15

Ok thanks for the info.
I changed the clock speed to 3000mhz and it's showing in CPU ID, is this not overclocking ?
For CPU? no...that would be 'down-clocking' since a 3600's base clock speed is 3600Mhz. I'm not even sure you can 'downclock' a CPU on an A320 chipset though.

Do you mean 3000Mhz on RAM though? Yes, that would be OC'g your 2400 RAM. If you don't tweak timings, voltages and/or other parameters, though, it won't be stable.

Buying 2400MHz memory to run at a higher speed of 3000MHz is usually accomplished by loosening (higher number) DRAM timings. That defeats the purpose of buying low latency RAM.

Have to disagree with that....

The purpose of tweaking the timings is to fit the faster clock within the peculiar timing windows of the RAM being...umm...tweaked. When done right, the timing changes introduces no latency penalty.

When done wrong, it might. But more often than not, default timings in motherboard BIOS's are so freaking loose to work with the maximum number of kits, you're more likely to end up with tighter timings, and lower latency, than not.

But the thing is: tweaking timings is not something for the faint of heart. So much to work with, so many combinations that can lead to success, only a few that give lowest latency. And so many, many more that result in constant crashes. Going at it blind is an exercise in pure frustration.

Luckily, there is 1Usmus's Ryzen DRAMCalculator to help:

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
For CPU? no...that would be 'down-clocking' since a 3600's base clock speed is 3600Mhz. I'm not even sure you can 'downclock' a CPU on an A320 chipset though.

Do you mean 3000Mhz on RAM though? Yes, that would be OC'g your 2400 RAM. If you don't tweak timings, voltages and/or other parameters, though, it won't be stable.

Yeah with my Ryzen 5 2400g i OC'd to 3.9 GHZ but it was loud and unstable on windows so now i've got my 3600 I keep it as stock and not going to overclock.

And yes, 3000mhz on the RAM. Seems very stable, not going to push it any further

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
See image attached... I am able to change the clock frequency settings for the CPU...
0thBBDh.jpg

See image attached... I am able to change the clock frequency settings for the CPU...
0thBBDh.jpg
Can you post a screen shot with CPUz showing CPU tab with clock speed at an actual fixed overclock, let's say 4.25Ghz which any 3600 should be able to do with no load. Include on the screen the Mainboard tab showing the motherboard chipset.

As I've said, I think some A320 motherboards allow you to change CPU multiplier settings but it doesn't actually change the CPU to that clock speed. And since 3.6Ghz is the base frequency for a 3600 a setting of 3.6Ghz is just locking it at it's base clocks if anything, not 'overclcocking'.

Those CPUz screens are curious...

The first screen shows a CPU multiplier of 22.0, clock speed 2195.5Mhz, which is perfectly consistent with an idling 3600.

The second screen (the one where you 'overclocked' it) shows a multiplier of 41.0, clock speed 4091.7Mhz. That clock is consistent with a boosting core of a 3600 processor... but it's not correct for a 3600 with a fixed core multiplier of 39.0. It should have a clock frequency of 39.0*99.8 bus clock or 3892.2Mhz.

It should be no more and no less than a 39.0 multiplier if that's what you set it at. I do not believe it's doing what you think it's doing.

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
Those CPUz screens are curious...

The first screen shows a CPU multiplier of 22.0, clock speed 2195.5Mhz, which is perfectly consistent with an idling 3600.

The second screen (the one where you 'overclocked' it) shows a multiplier of 41.0, clock speed 4091.7Mhz. That clock is consistent with a boosting core of a 3600 processor... but it's not correct for a 3600 with a fixed core multiplier of 39.0. It should have a clock frequency of 39.0*99.8 bus clock or 3892.2Mhz.

It should be no more and no less than a 39.0 multiplier if that's what you set it at. I do not believe it's doing what you think it's doing.

Sorry dude ! I know where the error comes from.
In the first screenshot It may have been in power saving mode

dcvikes

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
It was, it's called balanced mode in your windows power settings. R5 3600 or any other R5-R7 can theoretically OC on B350-450 and X470-570 boards with XFR-PBO-AMD CBS, but the voltages when doing so are insane 1.45v with spikes of 1.5+v for a tiny ghz gain vs. auto settings and using balanced mode where voltages remain 0.91-1.45v (which you are doing) and the CPU will properly boost when needed. You'll get a better boost with better CPU cooling. In general A320 boards boost nearly as well as B or X variants, and also in a sense it is auto "overclocking" which with Ryzen is all you need.

Last edited:
Solution