Any adaptors on the market for connecting 9 pin USB 2.0 to motherboard USB 3.1 header?

swfanatic717

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
I'm assuming that USB 3.1 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 devices. That said, I'm stuck on planning a build with an Asus Z270 motherboard where the only available connection for the front panel USB 2.0 connector is the motherboard's front panel USB 3.1 header (all other internal 2.0 ports are taken occupied). I'm having trouble finding a suitable adaptor for this since Googling "motherboard USB 3.1 header adaptor" tends to turn up Type-C results.

Are there any adapters on the market which will let me make this connection? For the record, is there an official name for these new front panel USB 3.1 headers?

dgingeri

Distinguished
I don't know about proprietary, but they are new and unique. They might be adopted by motherboard and case makers later, but for right now, there isn't anything to connect them to. I have been totally unable to find any adapters or cases that will plug into that, yet. This may change, and may not. It depends. Keep your eyes open for changes.

swfanatic717

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017

That was always the plan. Asus says that they're working with case manufacturers to make cases that support this connector but I've already bought a Be Quiet Silent Base 600 which doesn't, which is why I need the adapter.

IMO it stinks that hardware manufacturers are going back to colluding and making non-standard connectors. I thought the point of USB was to put an end to that.