Question Any advice for upgrade?

HarryGW

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
Hey guys! Here for some advice if anyone would be so kind, apologies for the long post in advance.

Approaching the zen 2 release, I'm looking to upgrade my PC with some saved up money - my current build is below. My current thought is to overhaul the Mobo, RAM, and CPU (to a zen 2 model and appropriate mobo) - keeping GPU, PSU, and both storage disks (+peripherals). Intended use is gaming, currently on a 75hz monitor, but if I can achieve it on a reasonable budget, I could be convinced to try for 144hz performance (?).

Given the Ryzen 2600 is dropping to around £140, I have considered picking up this and some of the amazing RAM prices, along with a mobo. Altogether for around £300. This is a rough budget, but I know the zen2 would put the price up, that's fine. Essentially looking for advice particularly regarding the CPU and mobo.

Current build:

CPU: i5-4460 3.2GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2V

RAM: 8GB Crucial 1600 DDR3

GPU: Nitro+ RX480 8GB

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB + 2TB HDD.

PSU: EVGA 600WBR

Monitor: LG22MP68VQ-P

Lutfij

Titan
DDR4-3200MHz dual channel ram kit, B450 chipset board with a beefy VRM and lastly the R5 2600. That would be the best combo. If you have money left over, you could pick up a good air cooler, something like the Cryorig H7 Plus, if you wish to overclock out of the box.

HarryGW

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
Hey thanks for the reply. So you don't think it's worth picking up a zen 2 equivalent? If I were to go with the 2600, do we know if the b450 would allow for an upgrade to a zen 2 later down the line, or would I need a new mobo for this? Thanks again.