Question Any advice on buying a good large-scale scanner that can scan art drawings to a computer?

Oct 30, 2020
Greetings, I need advice for buying a large-scale scanner for my computer. I have a large sketchbook that measures

14 in x 17 in (35.5 cm x 43.2cm)

and I'm looking to finish my artwork on computer so I can rasterize and vector the scanned image.
I'm having trouble finding some good scanners as most are expensive and I don't know which brand offers great scanning quality output in .TIFF file format.

Are there any good scanners I can get that is a good measurement for my sketch book?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Very high resolution camera mounted on a tall tri-pod above the work? A decent phone might work as well, just have to make sure it is square to the work.

If you aren't scanning them in to leave them as is, then I don't see the need for complete close up accuracy.

I would only invest in a flatbed scanner if you are doing this all the time. Seems to be plenty out there though capable of 18"x34"

https://www.amazon.com/Plustek-Flatbed-Scanner-1180-Blueprints/dp/B01MZXE0OV/?tag=19gh-20

Oct 30, 2020
Very high resolution camera mounted on a tall tri-pod above the work? A decent phone might work as well, just have to make sure it is square to the work.

If you aren't scanning them in to leave them as is, then I don't see the need for complete close up accuracy.

I would only invest in a flatbed scanner if you are doing this all the time. Seems to be plenty out there though capable of 18"x34"

https://www.amazon.com/Plustek-Flatbed-Scanner-1180-Blueprints/dp/B01MZXE0OV/?tag=19gh-20
Thats funny, I ordered almost the same model before you posted that, Except it was the Plustek OS 1680. I tried the phone method, but I feared that it wouldn't capture the drawing flat accurate. Although, I wonder in this day in age if there is some way to take a candid camera photo of a drawing and digitally flatten it with a program.

hang-the-9

Titan
You should be able to find a used scanner much cheaper than the $300 + price for the new ones. They drop in value pretty fast. Just make sure you test it since there can be hardware issues with them due to the moving parts.

ASK THE COMMUNITY